SENIOR WATER/SEWER/STREETS TECHNICIAN I (2 VACANCIES, WATER MAINTENANCE SECTION)
Are you an experienced leader who is interested in joining an innovative organization that is highly valued by customers and our partners? Arlington County's Department of Environmental Services (DES) may have just the opportunity for you!
DES is the vital link that continuously provides our customers with services that contribute to a healthy and sustainable quality of life within the County. This Senior Water/Sewer/Streets (WSS) Technician will work with other team members who take pride in collaborating and using innovation in seeking new ways to support our customers and better serve the community. One of the primary services we provide is to ensure emergencies are responded to in a timely manner. Database management and other software programs are used to complete daily tasks .
To learn more about the services DES provides, click here.
We currently have two (2) vacancies for Senior Water/Sewer/Streets (WSS) Technicians to work within the Water Maintenance Section and provide on-site leadership to water maintenance teams which specialize in the maintenance, replacement, repairs, and new installations of water mains, and water related emergencies, as well as tasks related to vegetation restoration, potholes, asphalt patches, and concrete curb and gutter.
Specific duties include:
- Working with the supervisor in scheduling crew work and providing technical expertise and feedback to crew members on all areas related to water maintenance and asphalt and concrete work while resolving on-site issues;
- Directing crew members on-site in technical procedures involving asphalt and/or concrete maintenance, utility repairs (water & sewer), and construction project management;
- Ensuring new team members are trained on and apply safety precautions, and ensuring that supplies, tools, materials and equipment are available for the job;
- Interacting with citizens, contractors, Miss Utility locators, engineers, and surveyors to coordinate project completion;
- Serving as a liaison between departments of the Utility Service Office and maintenance service group;
- Utilizing asset management systems to complete administrative operations including time sheets, material tickets, hired equipment tickets, and daily project reports;
- Utilizing Microsoft Office software to create various reports and respond to emails; and
- Responding and mobilizing the team in emergency situations, including communicating with appropriate staff.
Arlington County offers a competitive salary and a great benefits package including a Defined Benefit (pension) plan. For more information on Arlington's family friendly benefits click here. Selection Criteria
Note: This recruitment may be used to fill other comparable WSS Technician or Senior WSS Technician positions in the Department of Environmental Services, some of which may require additional certification and/or licensure within a specified timeframe.
Minimum: High school diploma or the equivalent plus considerable experience in the construction trades field or similar environment performing tasks such as water maintenance repairs, new water service installations and removals, sewer, or street operations. Possession of valid Class "B" or "A" Commercial Driver's License. See Special Requirements section below.
Substitution: Additional qualifying experience may be substituted for up to two years of the education requirement on a year-for-year basis. Technical training may substitute for up to one year of the experience requirement on a year for year basis.
Desirable: Preference may be given to candidates with experience in one or more of the following:
- Performing as a team lead or lead worker in construction or maintenance operations;
- Performing daily construction, maintenance and repair in water maintenance and one other technical area including sewer or streets maintenance operations.
- Using Microsoft Office Suite software to perform administrative functions such as time reporting, activity, personal injury, accident and vehicle reports;
- Experience utilizing asset management systems; and/or
- Possession of or ability to obtain the following certifications: Confined Space Entry, Trenching, First Aid, and Class V Water license.
1) Applicant must possess a Class "A" or "B" commercial driver's license from the applicant's place of residence.
2) The applicant must authorize Arlington County to obtain, or the applicant must provide a copy of the applicant's official state/district driving record. Any offer of employment will be contingent upon a favorable review of the applicant's driving record and passing a pre-employment drug screening and alcohol breath test as required by applicable standards.
3) Prior to the time of appointment, the successful applicant must pass a pre-employment drug screening. The successful applicant will be subject to drug screening, at such times during employment, as required by federal, state and local standards and policies.
4) On-call duty on a weekly rotating basis which includes assisting the Trades Manager with preparing the on-call stand-by list.
5) Learning and following all safety rules and regulations pertaining to job functions which includes attending all required safety classes and meetings in order to ensure a safe working environment and to ensure team members are practicing the required safety rules and regulations.
Personal Protective Equipment: Due to the work environment and as a condition of employment, Arlington County employees may be required to wear various personal protective equipment in the performance of their duties.
Work hours are 6:30 a.m.. to 3:00 p.m.., Monday through Friday. Employee must be available for call back in emergency situations, particularly during snow removal season.
Work is generally performed outdoors and in all types of weather conditions and near moving traffic. Some work may be performed indoors depending upon the work assignment. The work environment includes exposure to draft, noise, dust, grease, and dirt with extended periods of standing, walking, bending, stooping, and lifting light to heavy objects and equipment weighing up to 50 lbs.
The official title of this position is Senior Water/Sewer/Streets Technician I.
Please complete each section of the application. A resume may be attached, however, it will not substitute for the completed application. Your responses to the supplemental questionnaire are required for this position. Please do not give "see resume" as a response to the questions. Incomplete applications will not be considered.