Intelligence Research Specialist
25% or less - Overnight travel may be required 25% of the time.
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
This is an Excepted Service position. This appointment will not confer Competitive Service career-conditional or career tenure status. This means that if you are selected, you would have to compete with other applicants in open competition to meet requirements for another Federal position, unless you meet the requirements for reinstatement. Applicants who voluntarily convert from the competitive service, Senior Executive Service, or other pay systems to a non-time limited appointment under this excepted service authority are not afforded “fallback rights” to the pay system previously assigned prior to conversion.
Conditions of Employment
- Eligible candidates for this position must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Top Secret/Sensitive Compartmented Information (TS/SCI) clearance AND qualify for a Q clearance.
- As a condition of appointment to this position, you will be subject to pre-employment/pre-appointment testing for illegal drug use under the U.S. Department of Energy Employee Drug Plan. If you are selected you will be provided information regarding drug testing. Failure to undergo testing or positive findings resulting from the test will eliminate you from further consideration for this position. If selected for and appointed to this position you will be subject to random drug testing while employed.
- Homeland Security Presidential Directive (HSPD-12). A selectee's appointment is contingent upon compliance with Homeland Security Presidential Directive (HSPD-12) governing personal identity.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
A qualified candidate's online application and resume must demonstrate at least one year of specialized experience equivalent to the next lower grade level in the Federal service. For this position, experience must be at least equivalent to the GS-12 level. Specialized experience for this position is defined as:
- Experience conducting intelligence research and analyses to create and implement new tools, processes, and/or technologies to meet mission requirements.
- Experience developing written intelligence analyses and oral briefings relative to cyber threats.
- Experience delivering assessments and tactical advice.
- Experience participating in working groups or research projects on cyber intelligence initiatives.
Your application and resume should demonstrate that you possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs). Do not provide a separate narrative written statement. Rather, you must describe in your application how your past work experience demonstrates that you possess the KSAs identified below. Cite specific examples of employment or experience contained in your resume and describe how this experience has prepared you to successfully perform the duties of this position. DO NOT write "see resume" in your application!
- Knowledge of the mission, structure, policies and key cyber intelligence programs of the Intelligence Community as they affect DOE and the U.S. Energy Sector equities.
- Skill in evaluating technical cyber data and available classified reporting to identify potentially nefarious cyber anomalies and behaviors trends by cyber threat actors.
- Ability to translate complex technical and cyber-related terminology to senior policymakers and executive-level audiences
"Experience" refers to paid and unpaid experience. Examples of qualifying unpaid experience may include: volunteer work done through National Service programs (such as Peace Corps and AmeriCorps); as well as work for other community-based philanthropic and social organizations. Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills; and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
CTAP/ICTAP candidates: To be considered "well qualified" you must meet all of the requirements as described in this section.
You must meet all qualifications and eligibility requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
There is no education requirement for the GS-13 grade level, and education cannot be substituted for experience.
The U.S. Department of Energy fosters a diverse and inclusive workplace and is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- New employees to the Department of Energy will be required to successfully pass the E-Verify employment verification check. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, visit www.dhs.gov/E-Verify
- Veterans and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, please visit the links at the bottom of this page or visit the FedsHireVets website.
- If you believe that you are eligible for the Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP), please visit the OPM ICTAP/CTAP website for more information. In order to be considered under the ICTAP program, your application must score within the pre-established "well qualified" category as stated in the Qualifications section.
- More than one selection may be made from this vacancy announcement.
- Some positions may require completion of a probationary period of up to 1 (one) year.
- Many positions require successful completion of a background investigation.
- All males born after December 31st 1959 must abide by laws regarding Selective Service registration. To learn more about this law, visit the Selective Service web page, Who Must Register. If you are not registered and don't have an approved exemption, you will not be eligible for employment with the Federal government.
EEO Policy: https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/EEO_Policy_Statement
Reasonable Accommodation Policy: https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/Reasonable_Accommodation_Policy_Statement
Veterans Information: https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/Veterans_Information
Selective Service Registration: http://www.sss.gov/
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
The Department of Energy uses an application tracking system to evaluate the responses you provide in the applicant assessment questionnaire to determine if you meet the minimum qualifications necessary for this position. Then, the HR Office and/or Subject Matter Expert (SME) will conduct a quality review of your application and supporting documentation to determine if your qualifications meet the criteria for referral to the selecting official. This position is in the excepted service and is being filled in accordance with 50 U.S.C. 3024(v). All candidates that meet all of the minimum requirements of this position as stated in the qualifications section of this vacancy announcement will be referred to the selecting official.
Selecting official may check references on those applicants referred for consideration. References will be checked on the selectee prior to an employment offer.
To preview questions please click here. Read more Security clearance Sensitive Compartmented Information Drug test required Yes