The City of Alexandria is located in northern Virginia and is bordered by the District of Columbia (Potomac River), Arlington and Fairfax counties. With a population of approximately 150,000 and a land area of 15.75 square miles, Alexandria is the seventh largest city in the Commonwealth of Virginia. Alexandria has a charming waterfront and is a unique and historic place to live and work. About one-quarter square miles in the city have been designated as a national or local historic district. We proudly embrace our rich history and seize the endless opportunities that lie ahead. If you are interested in working for the vibrant City of Alexandria, we invite qualified candidates to apply for our Senior Therapist position.
The Senior Therapist is responsible for providing clinical and administrative supervision to case managers, therapists and registered nurses in the mental health and substance abuse Residential Treatment program. The Senior Therapist provides individual and group supervision and reviews documentation for conformance with Department standards. This position provides 20 hours supervisory/administrative activities and 20 hours direct clinical care. Tasks are performed in accordance with established policies and procedures under the supervision of the MH/SA Residential Program Team Leader.
What You Should Bring
Knowledge and understanding of chemical dependency and available treatment methods. Knowledge of the psychological and physiological aspects of SA/MH treatment. Knowledge of the effects of licit and illicit drugs. Knowledge of mental illnesses and treatment methods and practices used in psychiatric disorders. Ability to effectively utilize case management and care coordination. Ability to communicate clearly and effectively with other professionals and with the general public, both orally and in writing.
- Provides clinical and administrative supervision to therapists and nurses, including ongoing review of clinical activity and documentation thereof to assure conformance with treatment and record keeping standards;
- Conducts quality improvement activities, including record review, individual and group supervision, training, and performance evaluation;
- Assists therapists in using the computerized record system (ATP) and assures that records are up to date and in conformance with CARF and Department standards;
- Monitors the timely initial screening and reauthorization for Mental Health Support Services;
- Assures that cases are promptly assigned for case-management services upon admission to the MH/SA Residential program;
- Prepares staff performance evaluations in timely manner (at least 7 days ahead of Personnel due date);
- Carries a case load of 10 - 12 consumers and provides treatment services, including assessments, crisis intervention, individual and group therapy, care coordination and case management;
- Attends all relevant team meetings and assists the Team Leader in sharing information with MH/SA Residential team;
- Assists Team Leader in identifying program and team needs and in implementing new programs or models;
- Assists in the hiring and training of new staff;
- Maintains compliance with all Department training requirements;
- Performs other related work as assigned.
About the Department
The Center for Adult Services (CAS) provides programs and services in Aging; Adult Protective Services; Clinical & Emergency Services; and Community & Residential Support Services for seniors and for persons with mental illness, intellectual disabilities and substance use disorders. CAS provides compassionate and effective person-centered services based on best practices. Our teams support self-determination, safety and recovery for Alexandria residents affected by abuse, neglect, mental illness, intellectual disabilities and substance abuse disorders.