Scientific Information Officer
Heart disease: the #1 killer of both men and women in the United States. Deploy novel IT innovations to help us solve this—and other public health issues—by leading the Office of Scientific Information (OSI) within the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI) at NIH!
The Scientific Information Officer collaborates with research partners to develop, plan, and execute scientific IT strategies in support of basic science and clinical research objectives within the NHLBI Division of Intramural Research (DIR). The Scientific Information Officer reviews ongoing projects, evaluates IT issues, and plans future projects in collaboration with both an IT Steering Committee (ITSC) and corporate NHLBI Information Technology and Applications Center. The ITSC is comprised of DIR principal investigators and staff scientists who provide oversight and guidance to the OSI.
ABOUT THE POSITION
- Serve as the liaison between DIR and NHLBI/NIH-wide IT organizations to foster an environment of collaboration and innovation;
- Facilitate the workload of three full-time IT staff members;
- Lead, mentor, and develop staff into a cohesive high-performing technical team;
- Provide thought leadership and oversight in implementing scientific IT solutions addressing complex areas for specific basic science and clinical research programs;
- Deliver new implementations, upgrades, and improvement projects on-time and on-budget, while providing ongoing technical support;
- Establish IT standards and procedures for application development and maintenance, including project management practices and implementation activities;
- Evaluate tools and technologies in the context of the future state of architecture and evolving scientific requirements;
- Keep abreast of current and future technologies, standards, and hardware/software direction in order to serve as a trusted technology leader, strategist, and partner;
- Conduct vendor analysis and proof-of-concepts for novel technologies/solutions;
- Facilitate open communication and fact-based decision-making;
- Collaborate within and across teams to establish and document best practices in various technology areas;
- Partner with IT organizations to assess scientific computational needs and mitigate risks/issues during the launch of NHLBI-wide initiatives;
- Articulate, present, and make recommendations to senior leadership.
ABOUT YOUR BACKGROUND
- B.S. in computer science, bioinformatics, physics, chemistry, information systems, engineering, or a related discipline (advanced degree preferred);
- No less than 10 years of overall experience in IT-related fields;
- No less than 5 years of management experience leading a team with diverse technical skills;
- Demonstrated ability to successfully and effectively manage collaborations;
- Demonstrated expertise in one or more of the following technical areas: HPC design and administration, database implementation and management, scientific computing, big data analytics, bioinformatics, scientific simulations or data analysis, image processing, machine learning, or related fields;
- Proven experience with multiple coding languages, tools, and technologies;
- Experience evaluating technologies and products, contrasting capabilities and making recommendations, and presenting results to senior leaders;
- Experience delivering prototypes and proof-of-concept work;
- Solid interpersonal, leadership, and critical thinking skills;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Location: 9000 Rockville Pike, Bethesda, Maryland, which is bus/bicycle/Metro (Red Line: Medical Center) accessible
- Employment type: full-time, contract (can be renewed indefinitely)
- Salary range: up to $164,000/year, which will be commensurate with education and experience
- A selection of health and wellness benefits will be offered
HOW TO APPLY
To be considered, please submit your resume and cover letter to OIM.firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading of Scientific Information Officer. Appointees may be U.S. citizens, resident aliens, or non-resident aliens with or eligible to obtain a valid employment authorized visa. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
We are an equal opportunity employer, and we actively prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind. We strongly encourage people of color, LGBTQ+ people, immigrants, women, and people who are differently-abled to apply.