Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
One year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-13 grade level in the Federal service (experience may have been gained in the private/military sector):
- Conducting historical independent research projects and preparing historical reports and briefings;
- Possessing extensive knowledge of the military planning process and the execution of current operations of the Joint Force;
- Planning and managing historical projects to produce special historical studies and book-length written products and full-length monographs;
- Conducting oral histories with military and civilian leadership in order to document current joint and national policy issues.
You may qualify at the GS-13, if you fulfill the following qualifications:
One year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-12 grade level in the Federal service (experience may have been gained in the private/military sector):
- Serving as a Historian advisor on the history of Joint Force operations;
- Conducting historical research projects and preparing historical reports and briefings;
- Assisting with the planning and managing of historical projects to produce special historical studies;
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
In addition to meeting qualifications, your application package must reflect the applicable experience to meet the Individual Occupational Requirements for the 0170 series.
History Series, 0170 - Individual Occupational Requirements - Basic Requirements
- Degree: history; or related field that included at least 18 semester hours in history.
- Combination of education and experience: courses equivalent to a major in history, or a major in a related field that included at least 18 semester hours in history, as shown in A above, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
**NOTE: Failure to provide transcripts will result in you being rated ineligible for this position.
Substitution of education may not be used in lieu of specialized experience for this grade level.
Veterans Employment Opportunity Act (VEOA): To be eligible for a VEOA appointment under Merit Promotion procedures, the veteran must be a preference eligible or a veteran separated after 3 years or more of continuous active service performed under honorable conditions.
Interagency Career Transition Assistance Programs: This program applies to employees who have been involuntarily separated from a Federal service position within the competitive service or Federal service employees whose positions have been deemed surplus or no longer needed. To receive selection priority for this position, you must: 1) meet ICTAP eligibility criteria; 2) be rated well-qualified for the position with a score of 85 or above; and 3) submit the appropriate documentation to support your ICTAP eligibility. For more information:
Noncompetitive Appointment Authorities: For more information on noncompetitive appointment authority eligibility requirements:
Persons with Disabilities - Schedule A
Special Hiring Authority for Veterans
Special Hiring Authority for Certain Military Spouses
Other Special Appointment Authorities
Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service (see https://www.sss.gov/RegVer/wfRegistration.aspx
The selecting official may choose to conduct interviews, and once the selection is made, you will receive a notification of the decision.
NOTE: Declining to be interviewed or failure to report for a scheduled interview will be considered as a declination for further consideration for employment against this vacancy.
Selective Service Requirement: Please visit http://www.sss.gov for more information.
For more information, please visit http://www.dla.mil/Careers/SearchApply/Downloads.aspx .
Re-employed Annuitant: This position DOES NOT meet the criteria for re-employed annuitant. The DoD criteria for hiring Re-employed Annuitants can be found at:
Status candidates must meet time-in-grade requirements (52 weeks at the next lower grade level).
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the application process is complete, your resume and supporting documentation will be used to determine whether you meet the job qualifications listed on this announcement. If you are minimally qualified for this job, your resume and supporting documentation will be compared to your responses on the Occupational Questionnaire. If you rate yourself higher than is supported by your application materials, your responses may be adjusted and/or you may be excluded from consideration for this job If you are found to be among the top candidates, you will be referred to the selecting official for employment consideration. Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics):
- Policy Development
- Program Support