Plans Review Services Division Chief
Plans Review Services Division Chief An Overview
As Plans Review Services Division Chief, you will manage and supervise the Plan Review Section of the Department of Code Administration. You will be the voice for the Section ensuring that the proper training and tools are available for staff and that our customers receive the highest level of service. You will be responsible for ensuring our plan reviews are in compliance with the Alexandria City Code, The Code of Virginia, internal policies and procedures, and the Virginia Uniformed Statewide Building Code. This work is performed under the general supervision of the Deputy Building Official.
- Supervises and assigns work to a group of plan review professionals, oversees the day-to-day activities of the Plans Review Section;
- Responsible for the reviews of plans for commercial and residential buildings for conformance to applicable codes, standards and references;
- Prepares employee evaluations, establishes performance requirements and personal development targets, regularly monitors performance and provides coaching for performance improvement and development;
- Develops and publishes policies, and Standard Operating Procedures for use by team members and customers regarding plan review services;
- Communicates building techniques and minimum code requirements with developers, owners, engineers, and design professional and interprets code provisions for compliance with building requirements;
- Chairs or participates in pre-construction and pre-design meetings, as needed;
- Reviews and discusses plans with applicants regarding code requirements, engineering design, analysis, calculations of proposed construction, construction materials, approves revisions, shop drawings, and special inspection documents;
- Researches the Code and provides recommendations to the Director and Assistant Director for Modification Requests, Special Use Permits (SUPs), Developmental Special Use Permits (DSUPs), building related zoning and the Board of Architectural Review (BAR) conditions and building related site plan conditions;
- Assists and advises inspectors assigned to the Inspection services Division regarding code interpretations and construction methods that vary from approved plans and in emergency situations;
- Educates staff and the general public on building safety, proper constructions methods, building codes standards, and issued policies and procedures related to building construction; and
- Performs related work as required.
The Idea Candidate
To qualify for this position, all candidates must possess a four-year college degree and three years of progressively responsible supervisory experience in public administration and code administration including managing and implementing plan review operations; or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
To be considered as an ideal candidate, one should also possess the following certifications in building, plumbing, electrical, mechanical, gas, energy, accessibility, and fire protection plan review disciplines or certification as a Certified Building Official through the International Code Council required with the ability to be certified by the Virginia Department of Housing and Community Development in the above areas within one year. Employees entering the position with the Certified Building Official certification only will be responsible for obtaining energy and accessibility plans examination certification within 18 months of appointment. The idea candidate must also possess a valid driver's license by the state of his/her residence.
About the Department
The City of Alexandria's Department of Code Administration's focus is to assist customers to achieve compliance with the Virginia's Uniform Statewide Building and Maintenance Codes (USBC), and the City Code nuisance and development provisions. The department contains five divisions: The Permit Center, Property Maintenance Inspections, New Construction Inspections, Plan Review Services, and Administrative Services. If you are curious for a broader view of our City government click here, or for a broader view of the City of Alexandria click here.