Supervisory Public Health Advisor
50% or less - 30% overseas and domestic travel required.
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
Applicants must meet all the required qualification requirements, including education and any selective placement factors described below by the closing date of this announcement.
If you are qualifying based on education OR if there are mandatory education requirements listed below, you MUST submit a copy of your college transcript with your application.
Applicants must have 1 year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-13 level in the Federal service which provided you with knowledge of organizational, operational, and programmatic concepts and practices applied by public, private, or nonprofit agencies and organizations engaged in public health or other health-related activities; knowledge of the methods, processes, and techniques used to develop and deliver public health or health-related programs in State and local settings; knowledge of a specialized public health program; knowledge of, and skill in, the application of administrative or analytical methods and techniques necessary for working within the framework of a public health or related organization and carrying out specific program functions; and skill in oral and written communications, gathering and conveying information, making oral presentations, and preparing reports, correspondence, and other written materials. Examples of qualifying specialized experience include:
• Public Health Advisor positions - providing advice and assistance to State and local governments, and to various public, nonprofit, and private agencies and organizations on matters relating to the improvement of their public health activities.
• Public Health Analyst positions - conducting studies and performing other analytical work related to the planning, development, organization, administration, evaluation, and delivery of public health programs.
In addition, qualifying specialized experience must demonstrate the following:
- Experience evaluating one or more countries capacity to develop/improve its infrastructure and programs to provide treatment, prevention and HIV/AIDS care services;
- Experience analyzing data related to public health indicators; and
- Experience coordinating with external organizations on issues related to the prevention and treatment of HIV/AIDS.
There is no substitute of education for specialized experience for the GS-14 position.
In addition, applicant's experience must also demonstrate that the candidate possesses the following qualities:
- Ability to assign, review, and supervise the work of others;
- Objectivity and fairness in judging people on their ability, and situations on the facts and circumstances;
- Ability to adjust to change, work pressures, or difficult situations without undue stress;
- Willingness to consider new ideas or divergent points of view; and
- Capacity to "see the job through."
See the qualifications section of this vacancy announcement for education requirements, if applicable.
For reasonable accommodation at the U.S. Department of State, please contact the Office of Accessibility and Accommodations at (202) 663-3474 or ReasonableAccommodations@state.gov.Read more
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application will be evaluated and rated under the Category Rating and Selection procedures. Based on your responses to the job-specific self-assessment questions, eligible candidates are placed for selection consideration into one of three pre-defined quality categories as described below:
Highly-qualified Category - In addition to meeting minimum qualifications for the position, candidates must fully demonstrate proficiency in all major aspects of the position.
Well Qualified Category - In addition to meeting minimum qualifications, candidates must demonstrate proficiency in some, but not all of the major aspects of the position.
Qualified Category - In addition to meeting minimum qualifications, applicants must demonstrate a basic level of knowledge, skill and ability of the position.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following knowledge, skills, abilities (KSAs) and other characteristics that are relevant to the duties of this position and must be fully supported by information in your resume:
- Knowledge of HIV/AIDS prevention programs.
- Ability to identify program requirements and deficiencies and make appropriate changes to improve operations.
- Ability to plan, organize, and manage teams.
- Ability to establish and maintain liaison with officials throughout the foreign affairs community.
- Skill in interpreting complex legislation and regulatory policy guidance.
Your resume serves as the basis for qualification determinations and must highlight your most relevant and significant work experience and education (if applicable) as it relates to this job opportunity. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Your resume should include the dates of all qualifying experience (from month/year to month/year) and the number of hours worked/volunteered per week. For assistance with creating a resume, please click
Application of Veterans Preference: The Category Rating Method does not add veterans' preference points or apply the "rule of three," but protects the rights of veterans by placing them ahead of non-preference eligibles within each pre-defined quality category. Preference eligibles who meet minimum qualification requirements and who have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10 percent (i.e., CPS and CP) must be listed in the highest quality category, except when the position being filled is scientific or professional at the GS-09 grade level or higher.
Agency Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP) or Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP) candidates must be rated "Well Qualified" for the position to receive consideration for special priority.
Applicants must meet all the qualification requirements and submit any required supporting documentation by the closing date of this announcement. Your application package must contain sufficient information to make a valid determination that you fully meet the basic/specialized experience requirements as stated in this job opportunity announcement for each grade level(s) for which you are applying. Applicants found to be among the top qualified candidates will be referred to the hiring official for further consideration and possible interview.
To preview questions please click here. Read more Security clearance Secret Drug test required No