Pathways Summer Intern (Student Trainee Meteorology), GS-1399-03 (PATH)
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
*A one year trial period may be required.
*This position is not in the bargaining unit.
Definition of Student: Student is defined as an individual accepted for enrollment or enrolled and seeking a degree (diploma, or certificate) in a qualifying academic institution, on a half or full-time basis. Half-time is defined by the educational institution in which the student is enrolled. Students do not have to be in actual physical attendance in school, online curriculums are acceptable as long as the school is accredited by the Department of Education:
COLLEGE TRANSCRIPT: Applicants must submit a copy of your college transcript that lists college courses, course title, and number of credit hours. You may submit an unofficial copy of the transcript at the initial phase of the application process, but an official certified copy must be received before you can report to duty.
Proof of Enrollment: A letter from an educational institution indicating acceptance may be used as proof of enrollment for those students who are continuing studies at a new college or university. An official transcript will be required before you can report to duty.
- Entrance on duty is contingent upon completion of a pre-employment security investigation. The position may require a background investigation at the time of appointment, and may be subject to reinvestigation every five years thereafter. A favorable adjudication of the background investigation is a condition of employment.
- If you are newly hired, the documentation you present for purposes of completing the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-9 on you entry-on-duty-date will be verified through the DHS “E-VERIFY” system. Federal law requires the use of E-VERIFY to confirm the employment eligibility of all new hires. Under this system, the new hire is required to resolve any identified discrepancies as a condition of continued employment.
- Have your salary sent to a financial institution of your choice via Direct Deposit/Electronic Funds Transfer.
If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. Additional information can be found here: https://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html.
- U.S. Citizen or U.S. National;
- Must be at least 16 years of age at the time of appointment;
- Be enrolled or accepted for enrollment as a student at least on a half-time basis at a qualifying educational institution in a certificate, degree, or diploma program;
- Be in good academic standing as defined by the educational institution (at least a 2.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale);
- Provide an official certified school transcript or proof of enrollment; and
- If selected, must sign a Pathways Programs Internship Program Agreement after being appointed. Official transcripts will be required before you can report to duty.
Qualification requirements in the vacancy announcement are based on the U.S. Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Qualification Standards Handbook, which contains federal qualification standards. This handbook is available on the Office of Personnel Management's website located at: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/1300/meteorological-technician-series-1341/
The ideal candidate for this internship is a degree seeking student who is pursuing at least bachelor's degree with a major in meteorology, atmospheric science, or other natural science. To be eligible for conversion to a term or career conditional appointment a candidate must meet the requirements for the 1340 series. https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/1300/meteorology-series-1340/
To qualify at the GS-03 level:
Successful completion of 1 year of post-high school study that included at least one course in meteorology, mathematics, engineering or physical science.
Six months of general experience defined as any type of work that demonstrates the applicant’s ability to perform the work of the position, or experience that provided a familiarity with the subject matter or processes of the broad subject area of the occupation.
Equivalent combinations or education and experience.
All academic degrees or course work must be completed in an educational institution that has obtained accreditation from an accrediting body recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. For a list of schools that meet this criteria, see http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/Search.aspx.
NOAA participates in e-Verify which is an Internet based system operated by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) in partnership with the Social Security Administration (SSA) that enables participating employers to electronically verify the employment eligibility of their newly hired employees.Read more
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your resume, supporting documents and responses to the online questionnaire will be reviewed to determine if you meet eligibility and minimum qualification requirements. Veterans’ preference applies to all selections made under the Pathways Programs authority in accordance with 5 CFR Part 302.
To preview questions please click here.