IT SPECIALIST (APPSW)
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
Basic Requirement: Applicants must have IT-related experience demonstrating the following competencies appropriate to, or above, the level of this position. For vacancies below the full-performance level of the position, the basic requirement will be evaluated on a developmental basis. Your resume and work experience should clearly support your ability to meet these competencies and will be evaluated as part of the entire application process.
Attention to Detail- experience reviewing my own information technology-related work or data and have been asked by others to review their work or data to ensure accuracy, completeness, and consistency with standards.
Customer Service- experience maintaining relationships with customers, assessing current information technology needs of customers, and developing or identifying information technology products and services that are tailored to meet customer needs.
Oral Communication- briefing mid-level management and IT staff on the status of information technology systems, projects, or daily operations, including the communication of technical information to a non-technical audience.
Problem Solving- identifying alternatives to address complex information technology-related issues by gathering and applying information from a variety of sources that provide a number of potential solutions.
In addition to meeting the basic requirement, qualified applicants must possess: One year of specialized experience equivalent in level of difficulty and responsibility to that of the next lower grade, GS-12, within the federal service, which demonstrates the ability to perform the duties of the position, is required.
Specialized experience is defined as developing enterprise web applications using Java and mobile applications with languages like Swift; Experience programming in languages such as Angular and NodeJS to develop and support enterprise web applications; Experience working with RDBMS and NoSQL technologies such as MySQL, Oracle, MarkLogic or Mongo DB; Experience developing software using agile methodologies, development security principles, and Continuous Integration/Delivery tools such as Jenkins.
There is no substitution of education for specialized experience at this grade level.
Volunteer Experience: Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual, community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
These benefits generally apply if you are selected for a permanent or term appointment:
The Federal Employees Health Benefits (FEHB) Program has many plans to choose from, all at very reasonable rates, which can be paid from pre-tax income.
The Federal Employees Retirement System (FERS) is one of the premier retirement programs in the Nation. The program features three components: a retirement pension; the Thrift Savings Plan (TSP, an employee controlled investment program); and social security.
Federal Employee Group Life Insurance (FEGLI) offers numerous life insurance policy options covering federal employees and dependents.
For more benefits information please visit: http://www.opm.gov/employment_and_benefits/employeesupport2.asp
- Telework availability will be based upon the mission requirements and supervisory determination.
- You must be a U.S. Citizen to qualify for this position.
- A two year probationary period may be required.
- Recruitment, relocation, or retention incentives MAY NOT be authorized.
- This is a position with a designated specialization of Information Assurance. As a condition of employment, the individual must possess or be able to obtain an Information Assurance Systems Engineer and Architect (IASAE) Level I certification, within 6 months of employment. Employee is required to satisfactorily complete the appropriate training and obtain the required certification/recertification for this position as outlined in DoD 8570.1-M (Information Assurance Workforce Improvement Program).
- Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service
- Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP): To be well-qualified and exercise selection priority for this vacancy, displaced Federal employees must be rated at 90 or above on the rating criteria for this position.This position is subject to the limitations imposed by the DOD Priority Placement Program.
- The Department of Defense (DoD) policy on employment of annuitants issued March 18, 2004 will be used in determining eligibility of annuitants. It is applicable to former Federal civilian employees receiving a retirement annuity from the Civil Service Retirement and Disability Fund that are hired within the DoD on or after November 24, 2003. The policy also applies to annuitants (appointed in DoD on/or after November 24, 2003) who move from one position to another within DoD through voluntary reassignment, promotion, change to lower grade or transfer between military departments. The view this policy, please copy and paste the following web address into your web browser: http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/corres/pdf/1400.25-V300.pdf.
- Background or Security Investigation: The individual selected will be subject to an investigation in conjunction with granting of a security clearance prior to appointment. Selectee must be able to obtain and maintain a Secret security clearance.
- You may submit a cover letter which will be forwarded to the selecting official with your resume. Your cover letter will not be used to verify your qualifications or eligibility.
If you are unable to apply online, view the following link for information regarding Alternate Application. Read more
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the application process is complete, a review of your resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine if you are qualified for this job. The numeric rating you receive is based on your responses to the questionnaire. The score is a measure of the degree to which your background matches the knowledge, skills, and abilities required for this position. If, after reviewing your resume and or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating.
The Assessment Questionnaire takes approximately 15 minutes to complete and collects information on your education, training and experience related to the following critical competencies:
- Information Technology Life Cycle Management
- Requirements Analysis
- Software Development
You can preview the Assessment Questionnaire here: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10406333 Read more Security clearance Secret Drug test required No