The Department of Transportation and Environmental Services (T&ES) is seeking a Transit Specialist to support the City's Transportation Demand Management (TDM) program, GO Alex, which is part of the Division of Mobility Services. Through GO Alex, the City strives to increase awareness of non-SOV travel options, improve mobility within and through the City, and lessen congestion. The Transit Specialist will oversee marketing and outreach operations for the GO Alex program, manage operations for a contractor-supported Mobile Commuter Store, provide resident trip planning assistance, and plan and coordinate special City-related transportation events such as Bike to Work Day and Park(ing) Day.
- Demonstrates behavior consistent with the vision, mission, and values of the City of Alexandria, encourages innovation and provides excellent customer service as a core value;
- Evaluates the effectiveness of existing TDM programs and develop short- and long-term plans for the City's TDM program;
- Identifies how the TDM program benefits can be aligned with work from other City departments;
- Develops and executes the marketing and outreach strategy for Go Alex;
- Manages scheduling and logistics for the Mobile Commuter Store, TDM outreach team;
- Coordinates with other T&ES divisions and City Departments to align the goals and mission of GO Alex with other City programs and supports the TDM Coordinator in administration of GO Alex program;
- Represents the City at regional meetings and coordinates with local partners involving Transportation Demand Management (TDM);
- Develops and executes marketing and outreach projects, including New Homeowner Mailer and the Go Alex newsletter and creates informational content for the Go Alex website and social media;
- Organizes and staffs TDM events for the City's residents and employers such as Bike to Work Day, Park(ing) Day, TMP (Transportation Management Plan) Summit, and others as developed;
- Provides trip planning and personal assistance, both in person and through Commuter Connections, to residents who require support; and
- Researches new opportunities, such as emerging technologies and prospective employers, to enhance TDM program.
The Ideal Candidate
To qualify for this position, all candidates must possess a Bachelor's degree in Urban Planning, Public Administration, Marketing, Business Administration, Civil/Transportation Engineering, or related program; one year of progressively responsible experience in transportation planning and/or engineering, or operations analysis; or any equivalent combination of experience and training.
To be considered as an ideal candidate, one should also possess a Master's degree in Urban Planning, Engineering, or closely related field, and three (3) years of project management experience.
About the Department
T&ES is a community partner in shaping a livable, green, and prospering Alexandria. We plan, build, operate, and maintain transportation systems and infrastructure that improve mobility and provide people and businesses with core public services. The work we do keeps Alexandrians moving, growing sustainability, and thriving. If you are curious for a broader view of our City government click here, or for a broader view of the City of Alexandria click here.