General Administration Coordinator I
Job Category : Classified Staff
Working hours :
Salary : Anticipated starting salary is in the low to mid $50â€™s
Web Announcement :
ESP Finance & HR Analyst The George Mason University, Department of Environmental Science and Policy in the College of Science invites applications for our Finance & HR Analyst position. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Masonâ€™s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
Responsibilities: Working collaboratively with the department chair, department staff, and members of the college-level finance and HR teams, the Finance & HR Analyst independently manages complex financial activities on major sponsored projects and coordinates the higher-level HR activities within the unit. The incumbent serves a critical role of mitigating risk and ensuring: compliance with university, state and federal laws and finance/HR regulations; budget availability; and accurate financial reconciliation, reporting, forecasting of data and expenditures related to the department and its centers. Specific duties include, but are not limited to:
- Work directly with the department chair and Principal Investigators to monitor spending and track budget availability on Sponsored Projects;
- Provide guidance to faculty, including understanding sponsor requirements and interpreting guidelines, and other staff as well as reviews/reconciles expenditures and revenue activities (Sponsored Projects funds, Indirect orgs, E&G and Foundation orgs) for the department;
- Oversee and administer the full range of Human Resources functions for the unit including, but not limited to: recruitment, appointment and reappointment, on-boarding, performing and engagement, off-boarding, position control, transaction forms, and HR processes.
- Assist with the administration of grant budget and fiscal-related issuesâ€”such as ensuring compliance, and the timely submission and processing of grant expenditure paperwork;
- Serve as the primary HR Liaison for the unit with both the central and COS HR offices.
- Review and certify expenditure-related paperwork to ensure sufficient funding, accuracy and compliance;
- Reconcile and prepare spreadsheet information for monthly reporting requirements; and
- Initiate reviews of overspent and ending grants.
All work is performed in accordance with policies of the Department, College, University, government agencies, and applicable professional standards.
- A bachelorâ€™s degree in a related field, or equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Knowledge of fiscal and budgetary processes and general accounting principles;
- Demonstrated understanding of fundamental HR principles and practices;
- Experience with budget forecasting and monitoring expenditures;
- Knowledge of sponsored project management best practices and knowledge of Office of Management and Budget (OMB) Uniform Guidance;
- Demonstrated experience working with relational databases;
- Ability to explain grant and financial ideas and concepts to researchers;
- Ability to calculate labor effort proportionally per project;
- Ability to work independently and collaborate with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to manage multiple competing priorities and meet deadlines;
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential employee information.
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills;
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office, especially intermediate Excel; and
- Applicants must currently be authorized to work for any employer in the United States.
- Experience working in a large public institution of higher education;
- Familiarity with federal grant processes; and
- Ability to research, investigate, analyze, reconcile and evaluate data.
About us: The Department of Environmental Science and Policy is dedicated to delivering academic programs to graduate and undergraduate students, and performs scholarly activity in the areas of environmental science, environmental policy, conservation science and policy, water and watershed science and policy, and ecological health and sustainability. The department also serves the university, local, state, national and international communities with its expertise and teaching programs. For more information about ESP, visit us on the web at https://esp.gmu.edu/. For more information about the College of Science, visit https://cos.gmu.edu/.
Special Instructions : For full consideration, applicants must apply at https://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
MasonAd : Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report Up and Coming spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Masons diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
Equity Statement : George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or veteran status, or any characteristic protected by law.
Job Close Date :