The bus driver is responsible for safely transporting students to and from school, performing daily pre-trip inspection and safety checks, following an assigned route and schedule, maintaining vehicle cleanliness, and enforcing safety rules. The bus driver follows specific instructions and procedures and nonstandard situations or problems are referred to Lead Bus Driver or supervisor.* Provides safe transportation of students, maintains effective control of students, and assists bus attendant in boarding and securing students in the bus seats.
* Performs daily pre-trip inspection and safety checks of bus, and reports any defective equipment.
* Fuels bus following all established safety procedures.
* Adapts driving methods to weather and road conditions.
* Recommends route changes as needed.
* Performs basic First Aid and CPR procedures as required.
* Ability to manage students in case of an emergency evacuation.
* Completes bus incident reports as necessary and completes daily and monthly operations report.
* Performs related work as directed.
* Minimum of four years of driving experience, minimum age of 20, and Commercial Driver's License with school bus endorsement.
* A satisfactory pre-employment physical examination and a completed physician's certificate (School Bus Driver's Application for Physician Certificate, form EB.001) which is required under the provision of Section 22.1-178 of the Code of Virginia and Regulations of the Virginia Board of Education) with controlled substance testing, annual physical examinations, and random tests for use of controlled substances and alcohol, as prescribed by the Virginia Board of Education and Loudoun County Public Schools.
* Ability to obtain a Commercial Driver's License Learner's Permit and pass DMV testing.
* Completion of school bus driver training requirements of Loudoun County and Commonwealth of Virginia.
* Knowledge of traffic and highway safety rules and regulations, local street and road system, and basic mechanical principles of motor vehicle operations.
* Advanced level of verbal fluency in English is required.
* Ability to communicate effectively with students, staff, and parents; carry out written and oral instructions; and operate a two-way radio.
* National Safety Council First Aid and CPR Certifications (provided during training).
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit for prolonged periods of time; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects or tools; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is regularly required to see, talk, and hear; to climb stairs and ladders; to bend, kneel, crouch, and crawl; to hold, grasp, and turn objects; to use fingers to operate computer keyboards; and to feel shapes, size, and temperature of objects. The employee is regularly required to maneuver the aisle of bus with ease and may be required to lift up to approximately 50 pounds.
The Bus Driver reports to the Lead Bus Driver.