Economics Research Assistant
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
Please note your resume must thoroughly support your responses to the vacancy questions. Your resume is an integral part of the process for determining if you meet the basic qualifications of the position and determining if you are to be among the best qualified.
Applicants must meet eligibility and qualification requirements by the closing date of this announcement. Current Federal employees must meet time-in-grade requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
GS-5 Specialized Experience: Applicants must have a minimum of one year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-4 in the Federal service and/or qualified education. For this position, specialized experience and/or education includes the following:
- Collecting and analyzing economic data using computer software (e.g., spreadsheet or database software, regression analysis software packages); Analyzing facts and information and summarizing such material for use in decision memorandums and orders; Providing technical assistance; and Searching for citations of law, precedent, court, and administrative decisions, economic literature and regulatory material. OR
- Completed a full 4-year course of study with major study in economics, or 24 semester hours in courses relevant for the position, such as economics, statistics, probability, data analysis, political science, accounting, finance, and mathematics. (Transcripts Required) OR
- Combination of post high school education and specialized experience that together meet the basic qualifications for this position.
College Transcript: If you are qualifying based on positive education, please provide a copy of your college transcript. You may provide an official or unofficial (photocopy) transcript with your application but MUST provide an original prior to appointment if selected for the position. All education claimed by applicants will be verified by the appointing agency accordingly.
NOTE: Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Applicants can verify accreditation at the following website: http://www2.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html
Foreign Education: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html
PART-TIME OR UNPAID EXPERIENCE: Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
EEO Policy StatementReasonable Accommodation Policy StatementVeterans InformationLegal and Regulatory Guidance
- Before hiring, an agency will ask you to complete a Declaration for Federal Employment to determine your suitability for Federal employment and to authorize a background investigation. The agency will also ask you to sign and certify the accuracy of all the information in your application. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or you may be fined or jailed. If you are a male over age 18 who was born after December 31, 1959, you must have registered with the Selective Service System (or have an exemption) to be eligible for a Federal job.
- If applicable, you will be required to serve a trial period of one year.
- In order for you to be employed at the FCC, there are certain Commission and Federal laws governing the financial interests of you and members of your immediate family. If selected for the position, you must submit a financial disclosure statement upon assuming the position.
THIS VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT MAY BE USED TO FILL ADDITIONAL POSITIONS WITHIN 90 DAYS.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
All applicants will be rated on the extent and quality of experience and education relevant to the duties of the position. The FCC determines the BEST QUALIFIED CANDIDATES based on the major job related competencies and evaluation of your knowledge, skills, and abilities reflected in your application and supporting documents using the CATEGORY RATING PROCESS. All eligible applicants under Delegated Examining (DEU) will be placed in one of the following three categories:
1. Highly Qualified (Score 90-100) - the applicants possessing a background that demonstrates a superior level of major job related competencies and possession of all evaluation criteria;
2. Fully Qualified (Score 80-89) - the applicants possessing a background that demonstrates a satisfactory level of major job related competencies and possession of the evaluation criteria; and
3. Minimally Qualified (Score of 70-79)- the applicants possessing only the specialized experience described in the vacancy announcement.
An automated score is administered based on the on-line application process used. Eligible applicants will receive a numerical rating based on their responses to the job specific questions for this position.
Application of Veterans Preference: The category rating process does not add veterans' preference points or apply the "rule of three" but protects the rights of veterans by placing them ahead of non-preference eligibles within each category. Preference eligibles who meet the minimum qualification requirements and who have compensable service-connected disability at least 10 percent MUST be listed in the highest quality category, except when the position being filled is scientific or professional at the GS-9 grade level or higher.
A selecting official may make selection from the highest quality category ("HIGHLY QUALIFIED") provided no preference eligible in that category is passed over to select a non-preference eligible in the same category.
Applicants under Merit Promotion will be considered in accordance with the agency's merit promotion plan and union agreement.
There are several parts to the application process that affect the overall evaluation of your application including:
1. the core questions
2. the vacancy questions
3. supplemental documentation (e.g., DD-214, SF-50, SF-15, transcripts), if applicable; and
4. your resume.
Applicants will be rated ineligible, if they do not respond to job specific questions, provide supplemental documents and submit resume. For more information, please click on Rating Process.
You will be evaluated for this position on the following Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Other characteristics (KSAOs):
- Knowledge of basic economic principles and methods in order to conduct general economic and market research using a wide variety of data, sources, and methods.
- Ability to summarize and synthesize information effectively and analyze its applicability to different issues and problems.
- Knowledge and ability to use a wide variety of computer software to process and manipulate data for presenting reports and calculating statistics.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
To preview questions please click here. Read more Security clearance Other Drug test required No