Senior Science Advisor for Earthquakes and Geologic Hazards (MP)
Occasional travel - Occasional overnight travel required.
Relocation expenses reimbursed Yes Relocation expenses authorized.
Are There Any Special Requirements For This Position?
- Within 30 days after selection, the incumbent is required to file a Financial Disclosure Report (SF-278) and supplemental form, Confidential Statement of Employment and Financial Interest (DI-278).
- Because this position requires travel for official business, the selectee will be required to apply for a charge card within 30 calendar days of appointment. Individuals who have delinquent account balances from a previous Government charge card will be required to satisfy their existing obligation before a new card can be issued.
- A background investigation will be required for this position. Continued employment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication. Failure to successfully meet these requirements will be grounds for termination.
- This position requires completion of a one year supervisory/managerial probationary period, if one has not previously been completed.
- Throughout the recruitment and hiring process we will be communicating with you via email; therefore, it is imperative that the email address you provide when applying for this vacancy remains active. Should your email address change, please notify the point of contact identified in the vacancy announcement as soon as possible so that we can update our system.
- OPM must authorize employment offers made to current or former (within the last 5 years) political Schedule A, Schedule C, or non-career SES employee in the executive branch. If you are currently, or have been within the last 5 years held these appointments, you must disclose that to the Human Resources Office.
- If you are a male applicant born after December 31, 1959, upon selection you must certify that you have registered with the Selective Service System or are exempt from having to do so.
As a basic requirement, applicants must provide evidence of progressively responsible leadership, science program management, knowledge of budget formulation policies and procedures, and have knowledge of science concepts as they relate to earthquake hazards, surface faulting and earthquake-induced ground failures, earthquake seismology, geomagnetism, tsunamis, and field and laboratory research in volcanic hazards, geothermal energy, and geochemistry in order to coordinate a major hazards program. Typically, experience of this nature will have been gained at or above the GS-15 grade level in the Federal service or its equivalent with State or local government, the private sector, or nongovernmental organizations. To meet the minimum qualifications, you must meet the education requirement and clearly show that you possess the technical qualifications (TQ) below. Failure to meet or address each mandatory TQ will disqualify an applicant.
Please provide a written narrative describing your experience that has equipped you for this position. Your examples should be clear and concise, and emphasize your level of responsibilities, scope, and complexity of programs managed, program accomplishments with results of your actions, policy initiatives, and level of contacts. Be specific in describing results achieved for each of the factors. EACH TQ MUST BE ADDRESSED SEPARATELY. Narrative Statements for the TQs must not exceed two pages each. Applicants who refer to their resume as a response will not receive consideration.
Technical Qualifications (Mandatory):
- State-of-the-art science knowledge of geologic hazards and geomagnetism.
- Ability to advance new geoscience concepts in geologic hazards.
- Ability to formulate geologic hazards science goals and objective.
- Ability to define the direction of diverse research (basic and applied) and investigation programs in geologic hazards of nationwide scope and responsibility.
- Skill in written communications, interpersonal liaison, and organizational representation.
You must meet all qualification and eligibility requirements for the position by the closing date of the announcement.
- This position has mandatory education requirements. You must meet the education requirement for at least one of the three series listed. You must certify that you have qualifying education by including an unofficial transcript or a list of course work, including semester hours earned and grade received. Education will be verified upon appointment. If you are a current Federal employee in one of these occupational series, you may include a copy of a personnel action in lieu of a transcript. Physical Scientist series (1301)-https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/1300/general-physical-science-series-1301/; Geophysics series (1313)- https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/1300/geophysics-series-1313/; Geology series (1350)- https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/1300/geology-series-1350/
- Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g. Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
- Education completed in colleges or universities outside the United States may be used to meet the above requirements. You must provide acceptable documentation that the foreign education is comparable to that received in an accredited educational institution in the United States. For more information on how foreign education is evaluated, visit: http://www.usgs.gov/ohr/oars/quals/foreign.html.
- Under Executive Order 11935, only United States citizens and nationals (residents of American Samoa and Swains Island) may compete for civil service jobs. Agencies are permitted to hire non-citizens only in very limited circumstances where there are no qualified citizens available for the position.
- USGS employees are subject to Title 43, USC Section 31(a) and may not: (a) have any personal, private, direct or indirect interest in lands or mineral wealth of lands under survey; (b) have any substantial personal, private, direct or indirect interests in any private mining or mineral enterprise doing business with the United States; or (c) execute surveys or examinations for private parties or corporations.
- The application contains information subject to the Privacy Act (P.L. 93-579, 5 USC 552a). The information is used to determine qualifications for employment, and is authorized under Title 5, USC, Section 3302 and 3361.
- DOI uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit www.dhs.gov/E-Verify.
- THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
As part of the online application process, you will need to provide narrative response to a series of questions designed to assess your knowledge skills, abilities and/or competencies. Applicants who meet the basic qualifications will be evaluated by a panel of executives who will determine which applicants are best qualified. This information will be obtained from the application package. The Department’s Executive Resources Board will review results and make recommendations on final selection to the appointing authority. Verification of performance, suitability, and security information will be taken into consideration when making an offer of employment.
--NOTE: If it is determined that you have rated yourself higher than is supported in your description of experience and/or education as described in your resume/application, or that your resume or application is incomplete, you may be rated ineligible, not qualified, or your score may be lowered.
To preview questions please click here. Read more Security clearance Not Required Drug test required No