Manager, Performance Improvement
7 days left
- Full Time
- Bachelor’s Degree in Public and/or Business Administration, Planning, Engineering, Data Science, Financial Management, History, Mathematics and/or Statistics, Political Science, Economics or a related field
- Eight (8) years of experience in development of organizational performance management, measurement and reporting programs, process improvement, strategic resource planning, business planning, data analysis, and/or industry benchmarking
- A minimum of three (3) years of the experience must include a combination of managing agency and/or contractor staff, leading cross-functional senior management teams in improvement initiatives, or performing in a lead-level capacity responsible for the development of junior performance improvement staff
- Master’s degree in Public and/or Business Administration, Planning, Engineering, Data Science, Financial Management, History, Mathematics and/or Statistics, Political Science, Economics or a related field
Satisfactorily complete the medical examination for this position, if required. The incumbent must be able to perform the essential functions of this position either with or without reasonable accommodations.
The Manager of Performance Improvement leads the Performance Reporting unit within the Performance Office. The incumbent guides Office staff to prepare data analytics that tracks progress toward the Authority’s strategic goals and performance targets as documented in Chief and Department Business Plans, including the Metro Performance Report to the Board. The incumbent oversees implementation of Stat performance review meetings, performance dashboards and other performance presentations to promote staff alignment toward key measures and support data driven decision making. In addition, the Manager of Performance Improvement works closely with senior management to define requirements for new performance measures and leads research, analysis and implementation efforts to introduce new measures for management and the public.
- Supervises the collection, analysis, and reporting on performance measure data to evaluate how effectively Metro is meeting strategic goals and business plan objectives or addressing identified risks. Instructs and ensures analysts are effectively utilizing Cognos, Excel, SQL, Tableau and other tools to retrieve, analyze and visualize performance measure data.
- Oversees production of the Metro Performance Report that communicates progress toward strategic goals to Board members and the public. Reviews and approves content and preps Executives on materials and potential questions, in coordination with the Department of System Safety and Environmental Management (SAFE), to provide accurate, concise and relevant data and information for Board members.
- Facilitates enhancements to the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (WMATA) business planning process to advance alignment across WMATA, engaging stakeholders across the agency (Office of Management and Budget (OMBS), Quality Assurance, Internal Compliance and Oversight (QICO), Management Audits, Risk and Compliance (MARC), Operations Management Services (OPMS), Department of Human resources (HR)) to ensure business plans are relevant and utilized across Metro, aligning actions toward goals and GM priorities. Makes process improvements based on guidance from FHWA Performance Based Planning and Programming Guidebook.
- Directs the facilitation of Stat meetings in various offices, providing direction on data, visualization and participant preparation. Conducts regular evaluation and guides analysts to refresh approach based on evaluation findings.
- Manages staff and consultants to produce updates to the Office of Chief Operating Officer (COO) Dashboard and accompanying dashboards, including creating and gathering feedback from dashboard mock ups, defining formal Information Technology (IT) requirements and testing product updates to ensure timely, accurate and relevant information provided to management. Ensures that staff provides COO management with access to trend data to make informed decisions about priorities and investments.
- Leads development of new performance measures to address management questions, customer feedback, Federal Transportation Administration (FTA) requirements or risks identified within the Enterprise Risk Management Program (ERMP). Works closely with COO management to define requirements for IT and manages work by staff, consultants and researchers to model data and/or build reports. Ensures that COO management has the most appropriate measures for managing WMATA. Ensures analysts are referencing existing guidance (e.g., FTA Asset Management Guidebook, Committee of Sponsoring Organizations of the Treadway Commission (COSO) Risk Management Framework, Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) Performance Based Planning and Programming Guidebook) and best practices in performance measurement.
- Oversees analysts’ data collection of Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) as part of WMATA’s participation in formal and informal Benchmarking groups. Ensures accurate collection of KPIs used to compare performance with other transit agencies worldwide.
- Leads annual update of WMATA’s targets for Metro Performance Report, COO Dashboard, and FTA Transit Asset Management (TAM) measures, facilitating cross¿organizational efforts to quantify progress, identify planned improvements and risks to achieving progress. Works collaboratively with departments across Metro to improve process efficiency and outcomes. Ensures that WMATA management and staff have quantifiable definition of success for all KPIs.
- Works closely with IT to develop, integrate and implement data quality controls for the Metro Performance Report, COO Dashboard and FTA TAM measures. Oversees analysts to ensure data quality controls are implemented and revised as needed. Ensures IT is considering data quality in system upgrades that impact key measures.
- Develops plan to ensure appropriate training and development programs for Performance Office analysts to include timely and relevant topics such as analysis, visualization, data programming, facilitation, and internal consulting. Ensures that analysts have the tools and training necessary to deliver on their individual objectives and advance performance management.
- Supervises staff to include preparing and completing individual performance plans, conducting formal and information check¿ins/reviews and approving leave requests and time sheets. Ensures analysts are making progress toward individual objectives and providing direction/correction as needed.
The essential duties listed are not intended to limit specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Nor is it intended to limit in any way the right of managers and supervisors to assign, direct and control the work of employees under their supervision.
Consideration will be given to applicants whose resumes demonstrate the required education and experience. Applicants should include all relevant education and work experience.
Evaluation criteria may include one or more of the following:
- Personal Interview
- Skills Assessments
- Verification of education and experience
- Criminal Background Check
- Credit history report for positions with fiduciary responsibilities
- Successful completion of a medical examination including a drug and alcohol screening
- Review of a current Motor Vehicle Report
Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority, a Federal contractor, is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, gender, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, physical or mental disability, or status as a protected veteran, or any other status protected by applicable federal law, except where a bona fide occupational qualification exists. Our hiring process is designed to be accessible and free from discrimination.
This posting is an announcement of a vacant position under recruitment. It is not intended to replace the official job description. Job Descriptions are available upon confirmation of an interview.