Plans, coordinates, supervises, and has site responsibility for work projects involving multiple trades, and, as necessary, participates in the full range of trade-related activities. Plans, directs, supervises, and coordinates the work of subordinate skilled trades workers. Makes decisions regarding hiring, evaluation, promotion, and termination of employees. Prepares formal and informal labor and material estimates for current and future jobs. Responds to calls for emergencies, assigning staff and providing oversight if necessary. Prepares, submits and maintains trade-related records, reports and correspondence. Assists with preparation of capital and operations budgets, and prioritization of expenditures. Attends meetings and conferences.
Performs complex and journey level trade-related work, when required. Establishes efficient and cost-effective trade-related procedures. Develops, prioritizes and manages schedules for routine and ad hoc construction, maintenance, renovation, repair and inspection activities. Assists with the preparation of specifications for purchase of materials, tools and equipment. Ensures that all materials, tools, and equipment are available and in proper working order. Maintains the inventory of small motorized equipment, hand tools, power tools and test equipment assigned to the shop and group. Coordinates the maintenance and repairs of heavy equipment with third parties. Reviews all service requests to determine appropriate skills, materials, tools, methods, time, and personnel requirements. Inspects work, ensures quality and adherence to safety standards and compliance with all national, state, and local trades and safety codes.
Investigates work related injuries and accidents and assists in preparing injury reports. Meets with customers, internal partners, and contractors to develop plans, work, time, and cost estimates. Engages in safety working practices and complies with safety programs and guidelines.
- Knowledge of supervisory and administrative principles, practices, and techniques;
- Advanced knowledge of trade-related methods, techniques and practices and of the properties, characteristics and uses of related equipment, materials and tools;
- Knowledge of inspection requirements;
- Knowledge of trade-related hazards and necessary safety precautions;
- Ability to carry out a maintenance activity within established policy, plans, and requirements and to coordinate work with other shops and departments;
- Ability to read and interpret work orders, diagrams, sketches, blueprints and manufacturer's manuals;
- Ability to perform complex trade-related work;
- Ability to instruct, motivate and train subordinates in all phases of the work and assist them with work problems;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with customers, partners, contractors, peers, subordinates, and superiors;
- Ability to enforce safety and other regulations;
- Ability to estimate trade-related costs and scheduling parameters;
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing;
- Ability to prepare and deliver accurate reports and to keep accurate records;
- Ability to use personal computers and software programs.
Employment Standards MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
Any combination of education, experience, and training equivalent to the following: high school graduation or a GED issued by a state department of education, plus completion of a four year apprentice-level trade-related vocational training program or four years of qualifying trade related experience; plus three years journey-level trade-related experience.
The ideal candidates possesses a CDL Class A license and VA Waste Management Facility Operator Class I and II license. Supervising staff including tradesmen for three or more years. Experience maintaining heavy trucks and off road equipment three or more years.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
The appointee of this position will be required to complete a criminal history background check, pre-employment physical and driving record check to the satisfaction of the employer.The appointee to this position will be required to be available twenty-four hours a day/seven days a week (24/7) to respond to snow, flooding, and other designated emergencies on an as needed basis.
With or without reasonable accommodations. Ability to lift up to 50 pounds, stoop, stand, walk, and climb. Use hands to grip or keyboard. Ability to extend hands and arms.
NOTE: May be exposed to dangerous machinery, loud noises, extreme weather conditions, hazardous chemicals, odors, and infectious diseases.
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES REQUIRED:
A valid driver's license is required.
Panel Interview, may include written exercise.
It is the policy of Fairfax County Government to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance; TTY 703-222-7314. EEO/AA/TTY.