Economic & Statistical Analyst
Serves as an advanced technical specialist and expert for demographic, economic and statistical research. Conducts research and analyses to support countywide need for land use, demographic, social and economic information. Manages and conducts all aspects of research and analyses processes to include problem definition; research design; primary and secondary data collection; data analysis; and report writing. Develops, utilizes, updates and documents complex computerized models, databases, methodologies and statistical tools for obtaining, analyzing and creating land use, demographic, social and economic information and forecasts. Utilizes advanced software such as SAS, R, ArcGIS, SQL and Microsoft Power BI to conduct spatial and statistical analyses and to summarize information. Considers the uses and potential uses by multiple clients to determine the appropriate information needed as well as the appropriate formats for disseminating data (e.g., reports, statistical tables, graphics, maps, Internet products, and databases). Designs and develops materials and approaches for disseminating conclusions and products to decision-makers, planners and the public. Designs, creates and updates web pages. Serves as trainer/mentor to build technical research and analysis capacity in others. As part of the selection process, candidates may be asked to complete written exercises and provide work samples.Required Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of the principles, theories, and practices of economic, demographic and statistical analysis and research;
- Knowledge of corporate systems and processes;
- Knowledge of systems management and process improvement;
- Ability to design and conduct complex research projects;
- Ability to perform complex mathematical and statistical analysis and modeling;
- Ability to effectively organize, prepare and disseminate information through reports, studies and presentations
- Ability to serve as project leader on large-scale, multi-departmental research projects;
- Ability to use computer software (such as SAS, SQL, ArcMap, and Access) to analyze data and present the results of studies;
- Ability to use word processing, spreadsheet, and presentation software to prepare documents and to store, manipulate, analyze, and present information.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
The appointee to this position will be required to complete a criminal background check to the satisfaction of the employer.
Master's degree in a related field plus four years of professional work experience. Senior-level knowledge of demographic and economic research techniques and experience working with large, complex relational databases. Significant demonstrated experience in quantitative research, and demographic and economic analysis involving managing, synthesizing and using information in various formats. Knowledge of Census databases, tools and techniques for extracting census data, and the appropriate statistical techniques for compiling and employing these data. Ability to write clearly, synthesize complex information, and present findings to audiences without technical backgrounds. Significant demonstrated experience using and developing analyses employing ArcGIS, SAS or R, SQL, and Microsoft Power BI or other data visualization products.
Work is generally sedentary. However, employee may be required to do some walking, bending, and carrying of items less than 25 pounds in weight. All duties performed with or without reasonable accommodations.
Panel interview and may include written exercise.
It is the policy of Fairfax County Government to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 703-222-7314. EEO/AA/TTY.