Logistics Associate for New Facility in Northern VA
The Associate – Shipping/Receiving in Logistics is responsible for ensuring high quality packaging, shipping and receiving services, as well as providing courier services as necessary. The Associate – Shipping/Receiving in Logistics performs a variety of archive functions and should develop a sense of responsibility toward his/her duties to include the following:
- Completion of the orientation program with:
- An understanding of our work and how it must be completed in compliance with applicable US and OECD regulations and our Standard Operating Procedures
- An understanding of Chemical Safety and the proper use of safety equipment
- Understanding the Standard Operating Procedures and equipment associated with his/her duties.
- Understanding the significance of Quality Control procedures and performing his/her work accordingly.
MAJOR JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (List in order of importance)
- Conduct courier services.
- Ensure vehicle logs and driving records are present and up-to-date.
- Complete packaging and ship material following the regulatory requirements and transportation guidelines.
- Verify receipts to ensure damage free products are introduced into our system, discrepancies are properly documented, and accurate records are maintained.
- Place all incoming and outgoing materials in appropriate staging and storage locations.
- Preserve the quality and integrity of materials while loading and unloading activities occur.
- Promote the importance of inventory accuracy and aid all other coworkers in all inventory movements as necessary.
- Ensure Receiving/Warehouse areas are safe, clean and presentable at all times.
- Knowledgeable of Standard Operating Procedures of the Archives.
- Performance of other duties as assigned by appropriate supervisory personnel.
QUALIFICATIONS (Education/Training, Experience and Certifications)
- High school graduate (or equivalent).
- Experience in International Trade, Logistics, or other related field preferred.
- Related experience in supply chain, transportation, support services or supervisory experience preferred.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES (Those necessary to perform the job competently)
- Desire to provide excellent customer service.
- Demonstrates a high level of attention to detail.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Possess strong computer skills and knowledge (e.g. Microsoft Office products, keyboard skills, familiarity with standard desktop productivity applications, web browsers).
- Consistently exercises discretion, good judgment, utilizes organizational skills, and takes initiative.
- Ability to lift 75 pounds on a regular basis and operate equipment associated with a warehouse / archive (forklift, etc.).
- Ability to apply and explain regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Ability to independently solve problems.
- Ability to balance and coordinate workload and prioritize multiple projects.
- Ability to pass a drug screen and background check.
- General understanding of the process to Import/Export biological substances is a plus.
- General understanding of IATA/DOT regulations regarding transportation of hazardous materials and biological substances is a plus.
- Have a general understanding of PPE and MSDS.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality regarding all matters concerning the company, its customer, and employees.
- Working knowledge of instruments and equipment used in the Archives and the ability to troubleshoot.
- Experience working within a GLP, GCP or GMP environment is a plus.
ENVIRONMENTAL WORKING CONDITIONS & PHYSICAL EFFORT (Under Typical Positions)
The work environment characteristics and physical effort described here are representative of those personnel may encounter while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Typically works in an office, laboratory, or archive environment with adequate lighting and ventilation and a normal range of temperature and noise level.
Personnel are required to stand and walk for a portion of the working day. The physical requirements of the job are for associates to talk, hear, bend/stoop, squat, crawl, climb height, reach above shoulder height, crouch, kneel, balance, and push/pull. Furthermore, the job requires personnel to lift/carry/push or pull up to 75 pounds with or without assistance.
Personnel use both hands for repetitive actions such as grasping and manipulating. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
DISCLAIMER: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of employees assigned to this position.
Avantor is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
Avantor companies are equal opportunity employers, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.