Fish and Wildlife Biologist
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
Basic Requirements for this position: You must meet A or B below to qualify for the position.
A. Degree: biological sciences, agriculture, natural resources management, or related discipline appropriate to the position being filled.OR
B. Combination of education and experience: courses equivalent to a major in biological sciences, agriculture, or natural resources; OR at least 24 semester hours in biological sciences, natural resources, wild land fire management, forestry, or agriculture course work equivalent to a major field of study plus appropriate experience or additional education that is comparable to that normally acquired through the successful completion of a full 4-year course of study in the biological sciences; agriculture, or natural resources.
You may qualify at the GS-11 level, if you fulfill one of the following qualification requirements:
- One year of specialized experience comparable in scope and responsibility to the next lower grade level (equivalent to at least the GS-09) in the Federal government or private sector. Examples of experience may include: evaluate biological findings in manuscripts, proposals, and study plans, articles for publication in scientific literature, and presentations at professional meetings; apply animal and/or plant ecology and biological conservation principles to find solutions to complex conservation issues for species subject to international trade; and monitor species status and wildlife trade data species subject to international trade to prioritize conservation action; OR
- A Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree; or 3 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree; or possession of a LL.M. degree, if related. Graduate level education must demonstrate the competencies necessary to do the work of the position, examples of qualifying fields include biological sciences, agriculture, or natural resources; OR
- A combination of education and experience as listed above.
PROOF OF EDUCATION: All applicants who are using education or a combination of education and experience to qualify must submit copies of official or unofficial transcripts which include grades, credit hours earned, major(s), grade point average or class ranking, institution name, and student name. If any required coursework is not easily recognizable on transcripts, or if you believe a portion of a particular course can be credited toward meeting an educational requirement, you must also provide a memorandum on letterhead from the institution's registrar, dean, or other appropriate official stating the percentage of the course that should be considered to meet the requirement and the equivalent number of units. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable; however, if you are selected for the position, you will be required to produce the original official transcripts.
PASS/FAIL COURSES: If more than 10 percent of your undergraduate course work (credit hours) were taken on a pass/fail basis, your claim of superior academic achievement must be based upon class standing or membership in an honor society.
GRADUATE EDUCATION: One academic year of graduate education is considered to be the number of credits hours your graduate school has determined to represent one academic year of full-time study. Such study may have been performed on a full-time or part-time basis. If you cannot obtain your graduate school's definition of one year of graduate study, 18 semester hours (or 27 quarter hours) should be considered as satisfying the requirement for one year of full-time graduate study.
FOREIGN EDUCATION: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html
Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP) or Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP): These programs apply to employees who have been or may be involuntarily separated (e.g. reduction in force, declining to relocate/transfer outside their local commuting area) from a Federal service position within the competitive service or Federal service employees whose positions have been deemed surplus or no longer needed. To receive selection priority for this position, you must: (1) meet CTAP or ICTAP eligibility criteria; (2) be rated well-qualified; and, (3) submit the appropriate documentation to support your CTAP or ICTAP eligibility (e.g., Certification of Expected Separation, Reduction-In-Force Separation Notice, or Notice of Proposed Removal or Removal Notice; SF-50 that documents the RIF separation action; or Removal and most recent performance appraisal.). For more information visit: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/workforce-restructuring/employee-guide-to-career-transition/
To register or verify your registration go to the Selective Service System at https://www.sss.gov/RegVer/wfRegistration.aspx
FWS has determined that the duties of this position are suitable for telework and the selectee may be allowed to telework with supervisor approval.
A PCS move is not authorized.
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application: https://help.usastaffing.gov/Apply/index.php?title=Alternate_Application_Information.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the announcement has closed, a review of your resume and supporting documentation will be used to determine whether you meet the basic qualification requirements listed on this announcement. If you meet the basic qualifications your resume and supporting documentation will be compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine your level of experience. If, after reviewing your resume and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and/or experience which resulted in you being listed in the highest quality category, you may lose consideration, or be assigned to a lower quality category for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully when applying, errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics):
- Interpersonal and communication skills sufficient to coordinate projects and provide technical assistance/support.
- In depth professional knowledge of the Endangered Species Act (which includes CITES), the Wild Bird Conservation Act (WBCA), and other laws, treaties and agreements pertaining to the international trade in wildlife and wildlife products in order to evaluate biological and trade data on select species; to review resolutions and decisions adopted by the parties; and to provide policy recommendations for U.S. delegations to CITES meetings.
- In depth professional knowledge of the theories, principles, concepts, and methods of wildlife biology and wildlife management; and knowledge of habitat, status, ecology, conservation of wildlife species in order to provide program support and monitoring of biological and trade data on select species, review potential impact of project proposals, and other CITES related assessments.
- Ability to interpret and support the implementation of conservation policies related to CITES and to provide policy recommendations.
- Best Qualified
- Well Qualified
If you are a veteran with preference eligibility and you are claiming 5-point veterans' preference, you must attach a copy of your DD-214 showing you were honorably discharged. If you are claiming 10-point veterans' preference, you must attach an SF-15," Application for 10-Point Veterans' Preference" in addition to the proof required by that form. Read more Security clearance Other Drug test required No