ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICER ( BUDGET & FINANCE MANAGER)
This employee provides fiscal leadership to the Public Health Division (PHD) in the Department of Human Services (DHS) to ensure responsible financial stewardship in implementing various programs to protect the public's health. PHD is responsible for addressing a wide range of public health concerns and providing diverse public health services for the Arlington community including communicable disease control, restaurant inspections, family planning, maternity care, dental care, and school health. PHD has a $22+ million budget and 180+ talented staff focused on protecting and improving public health.
The Budget & Finance Manager provides fiscal, budgetary, and management services to PHD and is responsible for overseeing, coordinating, and integrating financial management, human resources, procurement, and general administrative functions for PHD. The employee supervises two direct reports who assist with these responsibilities, a budget analyst and an IT business systems analyst.
- Management, development, and oversight of the division operating budget and fiscal operations including overseeing financial functions and revenue collections;
- Tracking personnel actions and their budget impact;
- Reporting to DHS and to the Virginia Department of Health (VDH), including reporting on the VDH cooperative budget;
- Serving as the purchasing lead for PHD division contracts;
- Supervising IT staff who manage three state computer applications: Crossroads for Womens, Infants, and Childrens services, WebVision for Clinical Services, and VENIS for Environmental Health Services.
To learn more about Arlington County Government's Department of Human Services' Public Health Division, please visit our website.
Arlington County DHS is committed to delivering client services in an effective, equitable, respectful, and trauma-informed manner. Our staff is dedicated to ensuring our clients are approached, engaged and cared for in ways that demonstrate competency, sensitivity and awareness of factors which impact the client experience including but not limited to: cultural identity, gender, racial, and ethnic diversity, religious/spiritual ascription, physical capability, cognitive and literacy levels, sexual orientation, and linguistic needs. Selection Criteria
- A Bachelor's or Master's degree in public/business administration, finance, accounting, or related field; and
- Significant (three years or more) progressively responsible full-time experience in program administration and/or management which included:
- budget development and analysis using advanced Microsoft Excel skills;
- fiscal tracking and/or reconciliation of accounts; and/or
- responsibility for at least one other administrative function such as human resources, procurement, management analysis, program planning, performance management, contracts management or grants management.
- Developing and monitoring a large complex budget with multiple funding sources in a government or non-profit organization;
- Policy and program analysis, performance management, and/or program evaluation;
- Interpreting and applying procurement regulations;
- Developing or implementing human resources policies/programs and/or managing human resource information;
- Coordinating projects involving various offices, programs, stakeholders and employees; and/or
- Monitoring compliance with legal, financial and grant provisions.
A demonstration of Microsoft Excel proficiency may be required before a candidate can be appointed to this position.
Both a letter of application and resume are required for a complete application. Please attach a cover letter and resume addressing how your education, experience, and training meets the requirements under selection criteria, both minimums and desirables, highlighting your accomplishments in these areas.
The letter should include a description of the size of the organization you served including budget and staff; the range of services and functions you managed and to whom you reported. Please tell us about the major issues facing the organization; and significant accomplishments.
A pre-employment criminal records check will be conducted. It may include checks of the following: criminal record, driving record, education, professional licensure, and credit history. You may be required to sign a release authorizing the County to obtain your background information.
Applicant must possess, or obtain by time of appointment, a valid motor vehicle operator's license from the applicant's place of residence. The applicant must authorize Arlington County to obtain, or the applicant must provide, a copy of the applicant's official state/district driving record. Any offer of employment may be contingent upon a favorable review of the applicant's driving record.
Must complete pre-hire federal background check and State of Virginia Central Registry check.
Work Hours: Monday through Friday between the core hours of 8:00 am to 5:00 pm with some flexibility.
Your responses to the supplemental questionnaire are considered part of the selection process and are required for this position. Please do not give "see resume" as a response to the questions. Incomplete applications will not be considered