Associate Director II, Government Affairs
FOR IMMEDIATE CONSIDERATION: Apply online or email email@example.com
Responsible for the advancement of ANA’s policy objectives in the federal legislative and regulatory arenas through high-level strategic leadership; identification of and engagement on legislative and regulatory threats and opportunities, utilization of expertise to inform the coordination of political and grassroots engagement in ANA’s advocacy efforts, and the forging of relationships with decision makers and other external stakeholders to advance ANA’s advocacy agenda.
- Develop and maintain strong, trusted working relationships and contacts with Congressional members and staff of both parties, relevant Congressional committees, the executive branch of the federal government, federal agencies, and other external nursing and health care stakeholders. Form or join coalitions and collaborate with representatives from other health care organizations to strengthen the voice of nursing. Develop and maintain a comprehensive understanding of ANA policies and issues; utilize this knowledge combined with expertise in federal government affairs and advocacy to inform and advise ANA members, constituents, external coalitions, Members of Congress, the White House and Federal government officials about preferred courses of legislative and regulatory advocacy and action Track and analyze federal legislative and regulatory action and the current political climate to identify areas of concern or opportunity, and develop, recommend, and implement strategies to further the ANA advocacy agenda. Actively coordinate with and offer strategic advice to appropriate Government Affairs team members in the development of cohesive political and grassroots strategies that support legislative engagement and advance ANA’s overall advocacy agenda. Represent ANA at Congressional fundraisers (breakfasts, lunches, dinners, receptions, etc.) to communicate the Association’s viewpoint on current legislative issues. Coordinate with the ANA Government Affairs team and other ANA Departments to effectively communicate ANA’s policies and positions and engagement in legislative and regulatory activity. Author articles, testimony, materials and online content; engage in internal and external presentations and speaking engagements, provide information and analysis, proactively and upon request, to ANA leadership, staff, C/SNAs and other external stakeholders. Maintain and submit timely and accurate lobbying activity and expenditure records according to ANA policy and in compliance Federal Lobbying Disclosure laws, participate in ANA budget preparation and record-keeping as instructed.
Bachelor’s Degree in relevant fields considered such as government, policy, public administration.
Related Work Experience
Seven or more years of relevant experience with increasing responsibility and accountability in a Congressional office, federal agency, or the government relations department of a health care association.
- Strong understanding of the health care delivery system as well as an in-depth understanding of the legislative process, federal government operations, and the political process.
- Ability to conduct comprehensive environmental scans and analyze complex issues and legislation.
- Proven ability to develop and implement comprehensive legislative strategy.
- Exceptional, demonstrated, written and oral communication skills including public speaking and the preparation of issue summaries, regulatory comments, testimony and other written reports of a technical and complex nature.
- Strong existing network of contacts on capitol hill, existing contacts at federal agencies and with other health care stakeholder groups preferred.
- Ability to relate easily to diverse individuals and groups, form and lead coalitions, and foster consensus.
- Ability to prioritize, manage and complete multiple, complex projects.
- Discretion, tact, the ability to act independently with good judgment, and the ability to function as part of a team.