Sr. Manager, GIS Marketing and Communication
Come join the American Petroleum Institute (API) as a member of our Global Industry Services (GIS) team. GIS is dedicated to providing valuable products and services to the international oil and gas industry through certification, training, publications, statistics, and events.
The Sr. Manager will oversee strategic direction of GIS marketing, communications, messaging and external positioning efforts. Direct, guide, stimulate, and meld efforts aimed at strategic communication of GIS value to members and other external stakeholders through a variety of pathways including press releases, member communications, content development, advertising, branding and marketing. Develop and direct a strategy for marketing of core API Global Industry Services (safety, environmental, security, quality and sustainability standards, certifications and training) program offerings, segmented by audience and global geographic region. Oversee a staff team and external vendors responsible for producing a variety of marketing and communications vehicles, including, but not limited to printed collateral, brochures, email campaigns, direct mail, websites, videos, and trade show exhibits.
You will be responsible for:
API Global Industry Services Communications and Marketing Strategy:
- Develop and execute a strategy for communications and marketing within the GIS department of 100+ staff, that aligns with overall API communications efforts. Deploy innovative approaches, utilizing a variety of channels and leveraging strategic partners as appropriate.
Positioning of GIS Programmatic Offerings:
- Develop and execute a compelling, comprehensive outreach approach that is complementary to API’s overall branding and communications strategy that appropriately positions GIS programs in support of API’s mission
Development of GIS Marketing Strategy:
- Work closely with GIS program leads to conduct market research for offerings, and based on results, develop and implement a strategic marketing strategy for all major GIS programs. The strategic approach should ne modular, yet cohesive to ensure the ability to cross-sell and promote the complete set of GIS programs.
Narrative Development, Creative Direction and Brand Optimization and Management:
- Lead the development of a narrative and creative direction for GIS marketing and communications. This includes messaging hierarchy, integration with API Power Past Impossible programming and creative concept development.
Copy writing, Print and Design:
- Manage staff team and outsourced resources to execute all print and web design communications materials for GIS programs and API events using B2C and B2B marketing methods.
Supervisory responsibility and key relationships:
Supervises communications, marketing and design professionals – up to four internal staff as well as external agencies – to deliver results. Develops and maintains relationships with external agencies to manage workflow. Aligns objectives working closely with senior leadership, GIS program managers, event planners and API communications department to achieve marketing and communications objectives. Responsible for supervising staff team. Shares information and develops consensus with API programs and business development team as well as event and communications staff on an ongoing basis and as needed on projects.
You will possess the following qualifications:
This position requires a four-year college degree with 8-10 years of hands-on experience in communications, audience identification and segregation, messaging of technical content, creative development, management, design, copy writing, and web design. Experience in trade associations preferred. Exceptional interpersonal, written, and oral communications skills as well as presentation skills required. Demonstrated experience in team leadership in both communications and marketing, and ability to be successful in a high-volume, multi-tasked environment required. Proven organizational skills are a must and event planning experience preferred. Computer proficiency in a cross-platform Macintosh/PC environment along with proven knowledge of QuarkXPress, InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, and Dreamweaver are required. Must possess a comprehensive understanding of the theory and application of creative communications concepts and effective marketing practices in business-to-consumer and business-to-business arenas.
The American Petroleum Institute (API) is the only national trade association representing all facets of the oil and natural gas industry, which supports 10.3 million U.S. jobs and nearly 8 percent of the U.S. economy. API’s more than 625 members include large integrated companies, as well as exploration and production, refining, marketing, pipeline, and marine businesses, and service and supply firms. They provide most of the nation’s energy and are backed by a growing grassroots movement of more than 40 million Americans.
Although our focus is primarily domestic, in recent years our work has expanded to include a growing international dimension, and today API is recognized around the world for its broad range of programs. Learn more about API at www.api.org.
As an API team member, you will enjoy competitive wages, excellent benefits, a generous PTO plan with paid holidays and a great working atmosphere.
API is an EOE M/F/D/V.
This job outline describes the typical accountabilities and requirements of the position and should not be construed as an all encompassing description of every duty performed by or expected of the incumbent.