Administrative and Office Specialist III
Job Category : Classified Staff
Working hours :
Salary : Mid- to high-$40,000s; commensurate with education and experience.
Web Announcement :
Executive Administrative Assistant
The Division of University Life at George Mason University is seeking an enthusiastic, talented, skilled individual to assume the role of Executive Administrative Assistant position serving University Life Associate Vice President, Assistant Vice President, and Dean of Students in University Life Central Administration office. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Masonâ€™s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
University Life AVPs, associate deans, and directors provide direction and guidance for the offices of University Life, as well as work on larger projects for the division and the university. The University Life Central Administration Office works closely with the Office of the Vice President of University Life and the various offices within University Life and throughout the university.
Responsibilities: This positionâ€™s primary objective is to provide administrative support for one associate vice president, one assistant vice president, and the dean of students. The position manages Assistant & Associate Vice President/Dean of Students office operations, project coordination and management, calendaring and scheduling, intra- and inter-office communications. The position assures that appropriate action is taken to complete administrative tasks and small- and large-scale projects in a timely fashion, with attention to quality customer service, a strong commitment to confidentiality, and in accordance with university and office policies and procedures. General administrative support for the Office of University Life Central Administration is also a role and responsibility.
Applicants must have the ability to:
- Communicate and interact clearly, professionally and appropriately with students, parents, faculty, and guests/visitors to the university
- Manage confidential information and interactions with professionalism; exercise sound judgment on how and when to refer those in need of assistance to appropriate staff members
- Respond professionally and appropriately in potentially difficult situations involving issues of student conduct, crisis/emergency situations, challenging parent/family and student interactions
- Manage scheduling and calendaring of appointments and events, as well prepare for and coordinate materials in advance of meeting/event, for three high-level student affairs administrators
- Be self-motivated to take initiative to identify appropriate solutions to challenges and problems that may arise
- Learn and apply institutional policies and privacy laws regarding access to student records and other sensitive institutional information; ethical and legal uses of technology in storing or accessing confidential student records and institutional data; and emergency or crisis response and prevention efforts
- To create an atmosphere where students, faculty and staff feel welcome and free to ask questions and obtain assistance
- Demonstrated experience completing on time requests and projects from multiple people
- Demonstrated experience supervising student staff
- Demonstrated technical proficiency and/or demonstrated ability to learn and use databases proficiently in support of office operations (e.g., student database such as BANNER; Judicial Actions; purchasing database such as eVA; EXCEL spreadsheets) Qualifications:
- Bachelorâ€™s degree, or an equivalent combination of education and experience, and a willingness to learn;
- Professionalism: applicant should be flexible, hospitable, gracious, assertive, motivated, independent, creative and resourceful; with an ability to solve problems calmly and quickly;
- Ability to appropriately handle confidential information;
- Strong communication skills: incumbent should be able to write as well as speak with clarity and effectively to individuals at all levels;
- Superior computer skills in Microsoft Office applications;
- Ability to adhere to policies and procedures and provide exceptional administrative and programmatic support;
- Customer services skills: applicant must be able to effectively and adeptly deal with students, parents, faculty and staff in potentially difficult situations, work with various levels of stakeholders, and assist in problem-solving and referrals when needed;
- Ability to work independently and function effectively in working teams;
- Demonstrated ability to work with diverse populations;
- Ability to manage and complete projects and requests from multiple people in a timely manner; and
- Prior administrative assistance experience demonstrating technical proficiency and the ability to communicate professionally and appropriately. Preferred Qualifications:
- Experience working with diverse students and families;
- Familiarity with university systems (i.e., Ellucian Banner, eVA procurement system, travel request system, Bank of America Works, judicial actions, catering, etc.) is preferred;
- Strong communication and written skills;
- Knowledge of university systems (e.g., eVA, Telecommunications, Parking Services) helpful; and
- Prior administrative assistant experience working with high-level administrators in higher education;
- Effective and appropriate management of confidential information is preferred.
Special Instructions : For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number 02488z at http://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
MasonAd : Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report Up and Coming spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Masons diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
Equity Statement : George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or veteran status, or any characteristic protected by law.
Job Close Date :