Please note: This is a re-opening to expand the pool of qualified candidates. If you have already applied for this position, there is no need to re-apply unless you wish to update your application.
The Public Assistance Bureau in the Economic Independence Division has an exciting leadership opportunity for a qualified candidate with proven experience in eligibility determination. The Eligibility Supervisor will be responsible for the day-to-day management and supervision of one of five operating units within the Bureau, which may include a combination of eligibility workers, case aides, seasonal temporary staff, and volunteers. This position will administer a wide range of financial and medical assistance programs that incorporates the Temporary Assistance to Needy Families program (TANF), Supplemental Nutritional Assistance program (SNAP), Medicaid, Foster Care IV-E, Child Care Subsidy, General Relief, Burial Assistance, Energy Assistance, and Auxiliary Grants.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Assisting in the development and implementation of local programs, policy, and procedures for administering Federal and State programs;
- Directing staff in the analysis and interpretation of complex cases;
- Monitoring compliance with Federal, State, and County regulations, policy and procedures;
- Hiring, training, supervising, monitoring, and evaluating the work of eligibility workers, case aides, and temporary staff;
- Developing internal operating systems;
- Evaluating service delivery;
- Conducting program outreach;
- Preparing and maintaining program records;
- Drafting reports using Microsoft Word and Excel; and/or
- Serving as liaison to external agencies regarding the interpretation of regulations and new program developments.
Arlington County DHS is committed to delivering client services in an effective, equitable, respectful, and trauma-informed manner. Our staff is dedicated to ensuring our clients are approached, engaged and cared for in ways that demonstrate competency, sensitivity and awareness of factors which impact the client experience including but not limited to: cultural identity, gender, racial, and ethnic diversity, religious/spiritual ascription, physical capability, cognitive and literacy levels, sexual orientation, and linguistic needs.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with a degree in Social Work, Public Administration or a related field; and
- At least three years of progressively responsible and successful experience in the administration of public assistance programs including eligibility determination in one or more of the programs listed in the position description.
Desirables: Preference may be given to candidates with one or more of the following.
- Working with TANF, View, Child Care Subsidies, Medicaid, Foster Care IV-E, and SNAP in a Virginia human services agency;
- Multiple financial and medical assistance programs;
- Commonwealth of Virginia automated systems including VACMS, VAMIS, and MMIS;
- Microsoft Word and Excel;
- Managing and/or coordinating the work of others;
- Master's degree in a related area; and/or
- Supervision of line staff.
Work Hours: Monday thru Friday from 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Applicant must possess, or obtain by the time of appointment, a valid motor vehicle operator's license from the applicant's place of residence or the applicant must have the ability and willingness to use alternative methods of transportation to perform assigned duties and responsibilities at locations other than the primary worksite. If the applicant possesses or acquires a license, the applicant must provide or authorize Arlington County to obtain a copy of the applicant's official state/district driving record. Any offer of employment may be contingent on a favorable review of the applicant's driving record.
Must complete pre-hire federal background check and State of Virginia Central Registry check.
Completion of the Supplemental Questionnaire is required and a part of the application process for consideration for this position. Each section of the application must be completed. A resume may be attached; however, it will not substitute for the completed application.