- Full Time
The Emmes Corporation is searching for a Bioinformatics Programmer located in our Frederick or Rockville, Maryland office. Emmes has offices located at the below locations and throughout the greater Washington, DC area with flexibility for office location preference, dependent upon position.
The Emmes Corporation, established in 1977, is a women-owned private Contract Research Organization (CRO). Headquartered in Rockville, Maryland, Emmes employs over six hundred staff worldwide with offices located in Frederick, Maryland, Tysons Corner, Virginia, Vancouver, Canada and Bangalore, India. Ranked as a top area workplace of choice by the Washington Post, Emmes fosters an environment of collaboration, professional growth, and exceptional work life balance.
Our studies impact public health initiatives on a global scale occurring in more than sixty countries spanning across six continents. We are dedicated to providing statistical and epidemiological expertise, computer systems deployment, data management, study monitoring, regulatory guidance, and overall operational support to clients engaged in biomedical research. Emmes offers support for the entire process of clinical trials from study design and protocol development through data analysis and manuscript generation. Emmes is seeking a Bioinformatics Programmer to support studies with bioinformatics data management and analysis components.
Emmes’ Bioinformatics Service Group (BSG) helps clients to interpret complex -omics datasets such as next-generation sequencing data. The BSG provides bioinformatics data processing, management, analysis, and software development services. This position will support one or more studies supported by the BSG. Disease areas supported by the BSG include cancer, vaccines, and infectious disease research. Supported data include genomics, transcriptomics, proteomics, lipidomics, and metabolomics data.
The Bioinformatics Programmer is responsible for designing, developing, evaluating and modifying computer programs to process, manage, and analyze -omics data sets and for identifying and resolving program or data issues. The Bioinformatics Programmer writes well-documented computer code and participates in validation of computer programs. The Bioinformatics Programmer is typically proficient in using Unix/Linux-based operating systems and develops programs using R, Perl, and/or Python programming languages.
- Develop tools for management, analysis and interpretation of –omics data
- Implement and execute –omics data processing workflows locally or in the cloud
- Create standardized summary tables, figures, and listings for –omics data
- Manage large -omics dataset collections including cloud import/export and data QC
- Write well-documented computer code and conduct code reviews and programming validation
- Conduct code reviews and workflow benchmarking
- Identify inconsistencies and initiate resolution of data problems
- Prepare SOPs, document source code/workflows, and write reports to summarize computational
requirements, processing status, and customized analysis results as needed
- Other responsibilities as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in Bioinformatics, Computer Science, or a related field
- Demonstrated computer programming skills in Perl and/or Python as well as R for statistical programming
- Competent in using Linux/Unix operating system command line interface
- Ability to develop and query relational databases (MySQL, SQLite, or similar)
- Experience using Eclipse (or other IDEs) and Version Control software (Git, SVN, or similar) to manage programming code
- Familiarity with next-generation sequencing data and open-source bioinformatics tools
- Familiarity with AWS cloud computing (EC2 and S3) is a plus
- Ability to manage multiple tasks
- Ability to work independently, as well as in a team environment
- Ability to effectively communicate technical concepts, both written and oral
CONNECT WITH US!!
Follow us on Twitter - @EMMESCorp
Find us on LinkedIn - The EMMES Corporation
The EMMES Corporation is an equal opportunity affirmative action employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, age, or other legally protected characteristics.Back Email Apply Now