Financial Aid Counselor-Office of Financial Aid
Job Category : Admin or Professional Faculty
Working hours :
Salary : Expected starting salary $55,000.00
Web Announcement :
Financial Aid Counselor
The George Mason University Office of Student Financial Aid invites qualified candidates to apply for a full-time Financial Aid Counselor position. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Masons academic and culturally inclusive environment.
Responsibilities: Responsibilities include financial aid advising; participating in an extensive outreach program; financial aid data review; verification, awarding and packaging student financial aid files; and responsibility for a specific student financial aid program/office function. Daily duties involve the following:
- Providing outstanding customer service while demonstrating patience and understanding to students and families who are seeking and/or receiving financial aid;
- Advising students about financial aid eligibility; application procedures; available financial aid programs; educational costs; and financial management strategies, including loans, financing options, and other financial-aid related matters (further including debt management and financial planning);
- Counseling students and parents regarding financing an education at the university (heavy contact with students and families via e-mail, phone and in-person);
- Managing students and reviewing student applications for accuracy, and to determine financial need and award aid in accordance with applicable federal, state and institutional policies and regulations;
- Calculating student award packages utilizing various software programs and federal, state and university resources, including gift aid and self-help; maintaining compliance with federal and state regulations and the internal policies and procedures of the university, and monitoring and verifying information with required documents; and
- Processing applications and corrections, need analysis, document tracking and evaluation of those documents; verifying accuracy of documents and consistency of financial aid data, federal tax transcripts, financial aid verification documents, and student information; and generating award notifications or denying aid if ineligible.
- A Masters degree or Bachelors degree and experience equating to a masters degree is required(masters degree is preferred)
- Must demonstrate in-depth knowledge of federal student aid rules and regulations;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; and
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, collaborative and computer software skills. Preferred Qualifications:
- Experience with Ellucian Banner financial aid software will be a plus;
- Possess a strong desire to provide the highest level of service to students and their families an energetic and positive approach to work, and be a team player; and
- Candidates should expect in-depth contact with students and families via e-mail, telephone and in-person; and demonstrate success in managing these communications with skill and finesse.
George Mason University is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse and pluralistic community committed to teaching and working in a multicultural environment, and strongly encourages applications from women, minorities, people with disabilities and veterans.
Compensation: Expected starting salary of $55,000 annually in addition to excellent administrative faculty benefits.
Special Instructions to Applicants For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number FA604Z at http://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
Special Instructions : For full consideration, applicants must apply at https://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
MasonAd : Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report Up and Coming spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Masons diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
Equity Statement : George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or veteran status, or any characteristic protected by law.
Job Close Date : 2019-02-21