Nanobiotechnology Research Associate
Job Category : Research Faculty
Working hours :
Salary : Anticipated starting salary is in the low $40s
Web Announcement :
Nanobiotechnology Research Associate
The Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry at George Mason University is seeking applicants for a technician/research associate position to work on a cutting-edge nanobiotechnology project to discover new antiviral peptides. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Masons academic and culturally inclusive environment.
Responsibilities: Working with Dr. Barney Bishop, the successful candidate will be responsible for performing tasks and experiments in support of ongoing proteomic/peptidomic technology and discovery-related scientific investigations. The primary focus of the research associate will be research, and they will work closely with the principal investigator and graduate students on the project. This project is part of a multidisciplinary effort involving polymer chemistry, biochemistry, proteomics, virology and mass spectrometry.
- MS degree in chemistry, or a highly related field; or equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Demonstrated experience in the areas of synthetic polymer chemistry (particularly in the area of living radical polymerization) as well as organic chemistry and biochemistry/molecular biology;
- High level of initiative and ability to work productively with limited supervision;
- Strong computer aptitude, including experience with word processing, spreadsheet software, and statistical analysis software;
- Willingness to work at BSL2;
- Excellent pipetting and analytical skills;
- Excellent attention to detail in laboratory tasks as well as administrative tasks;
- Excellent punctuality, organization, and time management skills;
- Ability to work under pressure and maintain a professional demeanor;
- Ability to read and comprehend relevant scientific literature;
- Flexibility to handle a variety of tasks and shift priorities simultaneously;
- Strong interpersonal skills;
- Ability to work as an effective team member;
- A cooperative and service-oriented attitude;
- Ability to use sound judgment to effectively solve problems within the scope of the position; and
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Preferred Experience/Qualifications:
- Demonstrated experience with the use of LC-MS and LC-MS/MS is desired;
- Demonstrated hands-on laboratory experience in an independent research project;
- Demonstrated experience with microbiological and aseptic techniques using solid and liquid media;
- Demonstrated hands-on experience with mass spectrometry and proteomics data analysis software; and
- Demonstrated experience working with Excel macros, MATLAB or R, and/or Python scripting language.
About Us: The Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry offers undergraduate programs leading to the BA or BS (ACS certification) degrees in Chemistry, with optional concentrations in Biochemistry, Analytical Chemistry, or Environmental Chemistry; a five-year BS/Accelerated MS degree; a traditional MS degree and a PhD in Chemistry.
The Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry has research labs and faculty distributed over three campuses addressing two primary research thrust areas: Fairfax campus (sustainability - physical, solid state inorganic, organic, and analytical chemistry), the Science and Technology campus in Manassas (biomedical - biochemistry, synthetic organic and medicinal chemistry), and the Potomac Environmental Research & Education Center (sustainability - environmental chemistry). The research funding portfolio includes the Department of Defense, National Institutes of Health (NIH), National Science Foundation (NSF), other government and non-profit agencies, and private industry. Faculty in the department have close collaborations with researchers from a number of local and regional institutions, including the United States Army Medical Research Institute for Infectious Diseases (USAMRIID), Walter Reed Army Institute of Research (WRAIR), NIH, Food and Drug Administration, Naval Research Laboratory, National Institute of Standard and Technology (NIST), the United States Geological Survey (USGS), and Inova Health System among others.
For more information about the Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry, visit us on the web at https://cos.gmu.edu/chemistry. For more information about the College of Science, visit https://cos.gmu.edu.
Special Instructions : For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number F9572z at http://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a resume, a list of two professional references with contact information, and a copy of your transcript from the educational institution where you earned your highest degree.
MasonAd : Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report Up and Coming spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Masons diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
Equity Statement : George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or veteran status, or any characteristic protected by law.
Job Close Date :