BUILDING MAINTENANCE OPERATIONS SUPERVISOR
NOTE: This recruitment is being re-opened to reflect fiscal year 2019. If you have previously applied for this position under a former announcement number, you do not need to re-apply unless you wish to update your application.
Arlington County's Department of Environmental Services seeks an experienced team leader to manage one of the 2 teams that provide building repair and maintenance services to a portfolio of over 80 County buildings. Under limited supervision this employee will plan, direct, coordinate and supervise HVAC mechanics, Building Engineers, licensed Stationary Watch Engineers, and contracted service staff in the operation, repair, and maintenance of mechanical, electrical, emergency power equipment, plumbing, building envelope and other related components, systems and equipment, as well as computerized building automation systems. This employee will also coordinate and direct the repair and maintenance of critical sites at (2) Data Center and (6) radio sites. This position is located in the Facilities and Engineering Division and reports to the Maintenance Section Chief.
Supervisory/Administrative duties include:
Minimum: High School diploma or equivalent, plus extensive experience in commercial buildings or a similarly complex environment in a variety of skilled trades areas related to the maintenance of buildings and building systems including HVAC, plumbing, electrical systems and energy management. At least one year of experience with automated hi-rise building systems is required.
Substitution: Additional qualifying experience may substitute for up to two years of the education requirement on a year-for-year basis.
Desirable Qualifications: Preference may be given to candidates with possession of a valid 3rd class DC Steam Boiler Engineer's license or Maryland 1st class license and experience in one or more of the following:
- Significant experience coordinating, managing and/or supervising employees in the field, including staff on 24/7 shifts;
- Developing and implementing a preventive maintenance program using maintenance software;
- Identifying, coordinating, directing, and teaching staff to make repairs in all trades for large commercial building systems such as HVAC, plumbing, sprinkler, dry pipe, preaction systems, structural, emergency power generating systems, data and critical sites;
- Managing plant mechanical systems, preferably in large (over 350,000 sq. ft.) commercial or correctional facilities;
- Managing small construction projects and interacting with project managers and trades staff;
- Maintaining, troubleshooting, and repairing electrical systems and controls (277 and 480 volts); and/or
- Servicing water pressure booster systems, and sewer ejection and treatment;
1) A pre-employment criminal records check will be conducted.
2) Applicant must possess, or obtain by the time of appointment, a valid motor vehicle operator's license from the applicant's place of residence. The applicant must authorize Arlington County to obtain, or the applicant must provide a copy of the applicant's official state/district driving record. Any offer of employment may be contingent upon a favorable review of the applicants driving record.
3) A valid Universal Refrigerant CFC License is required.
4) ARC Flash and Confined Space certifications obtained within probationary period.
5) Must possess one of the following licenses or a reciprocal license from another state:Virginia - HVAC Journeyman's License, Electrical Journeyman's License;
Maryland - HVAC Journeyman's License, Electrical Journeyman's License; or
District of Columbia - Electrical Journeyman's License, Refrigeration/Air Conditioning Journeyman Mechanic's License.
Work Hours: 6:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Monday through Friday - hours may include evenings, weekends, and holidays. Must be available for call back in emergencies, will be in an On-Call rotation with other supervisors.
Your responses to the supplemental questionnaire are considered part of the selection process and are required for this position. Please do not give "see resume" as a response to the questions. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
NOTE: This position is listed as "open continuous." Interested applicants are advised to submit their applications as soon as possible. Applications will be reviewed and qualified applicants referred on a continuous basis. Interviews will be conducted on a regular basis throughout the recruitment with candidates whose qualifications best fit our needs. If your application is received later in the recruitment process, it may not be reviewed or considered. The application process will close when the position has been filled or when a sufficient number of qualified applications have been received.