Chief Academic Officer (January 2019)
Chief Academic Officer
Two Rivers Public Charter School is seeking an experienced and inspiring educator to provide vision, leadership, support, and evaluation to our vibrant and nationally-recognized instructional program. The right candidate will have a proven track record of supporting deeper learning, raising student achievement, developing and coaching adults, and nurturing a joyful learning community.
About Two Rivers
Two Rivers is a network of three schools in Washington, DC, serving a diverse group of 850 elementary and middle school students. The school is nationally recognized for its progressive learning model, positive adult community, success at closing the achievement gap, and innovative special education program. The school’s mission is to nurture a diverse group of students to become lifelong, active participants in their own education, develop a sense of self and community, and become responsible and compassionate members of society.
Two Rivers staff share a strong belief that all children can learn and be high achievers. The curriculum at Two Rivers is rigorous, standards-based, and provides opportunities for students to excel in all areas. Two Rivers uses EL Education, an educational model that emphasizes interactive, hands-on, project-based learning. The school focuses on the whole child, recognizing the importance of character education and the social-emotional needs of children while helping them achieve academic excellence. An integrated arts program and a content-based Spanish program augment the school’s demanding academic program. These elements come together through learning expeditions that allow students to incorporate and apply their classroom learning through real-world experiences.
The Chief Academic Officer reports to the Executive Director. Responsibilities include:
Academic Program (45%)
- Develop and oversee implementation of the strategic direction for curriculum, assessment, instruction, social-emotional learning, and professional development
- Determine organization-wide academic goals, measure progress towards those goals, and communicate results across the organization
- Ensure high-quality implementation of school’s instructional model across campuses
- Oversee student support services
Leadership and Coaching (50%)
- Supervise, support, coach, and evaluate all principals to ensure dynamic and effective leadership at all campuses Supervise, support, coach, and evaluate other senior academic leaders, including the Director of Curriculum & Instruction and the Director of Student Support Cultivate a diverse, high-potential school leadership pipeline (from teacher leader to Assistant Principal/Dean/Instructional Guide to principal). Support principals in the hiring process
Partnerships and External Relations (5%)
- Participate in the citywide educational community
- Participate in conferences and meetings to establish Two Rivers’ voice in education and to stay current with educational issues
- Remain abreast of educational developments and innovations in the field
- Manage partners such as EL Education and Achievement Network
Staff at Two Rivers are part of an energetic and caring team devoted to creating incredible schools. Ideal candidates will possess the following qualities/skills:
Skills and Characteristics
- Passionate belief in the Two Rivers mission and educational model
- Curiosity, thoughtfulness, and a commitment to reflection
- Demonstrated ability to lead adults by nurturing their growth and investing in their success
- Proven track record of leading teams to meet extremely high standards for student achievement and success
- Strong teaching ability and a zest for leading professional development
- Understanding of organizational growth and development
- Excellent communication, public relations, presentation, and interpersonal skills
- Maturity, humility, strong work ethic, sense of humor, and “roll-up-my-sleeves” attitude
- Strong organizational skills; extremely careful attention to detail and follow-through
- Expertise in education from early childhood to middle school
Educational Background and Work Experience
- At least two years of successful experience as a network or district leader
- At least five years of combined experience as a principal and teacher in an urban area with a track record of high student achievement
- A master’s degree in a relevant field
- Experience with deeper learning is required, and experience in a project-based learning school or a school in the EL Education network is preferred
We offer a competitive compensation package and a comprehensive package of benefits.
Two Rivers is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate all applicants without unlawful consideration of race, religion, age, color, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.