Research Technician 2
The position provides skilled medical technology and histology capabilities to support the scope of the pathology and histology services, and the research related functions and goals of the Histopathology Laboratory in the Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center. Duties include daily histology sample preparation, sectioning of tissue sections, staining and routine maintenance of equipment. Provides support of biomarker discovery and validation projects for translational research studies as well as animal model research studies. Performs specific bench work for basic and clinical research to perform biochemical, molecular biology, serological, microscopic, bacteriological examinations and assays of biological samples. Prepares billing for completed work to ensure proper payment for services provided. These functions are performed in accordance with Georgetown University Medical Centers policies, procedures and standards. Duties include but are not limited to:
- Manages all technical aspects of experimental design for conducting assigned projects. Performs microtomy, staining, tests, assays and procedures appropriate to the project(s), following specific protocols. Develops and adjusts protocols as necessary to accomplish goals. Problem-solves. Performs special histological stains as applicable to unique projects. Processes frozen tissue samples including grossing, trimming, embedding, sectioning and staining.
- Performs grossing, processing and embedding to prepare samples for microtomy. Provides weekly laboratory equipment maintenance and reagent changes for equipment in the histology department. Cleans and maintains laboratory equipment and work areas. Orders and inventories laboratory supplies. Disposes of waste and contaminated materials according to laboratory and institutional policies and procedures.
- Prepares billing sheets to reflect and charge for work accomplished. Maintains accurate and complete records to fulfill requirements of SOPs for multiple specific and unique projects. Reports results by maintaining and updating specific database, logs, applicable to unit/area of duties and research. Contributes to preparation of publications and presentations.
- Prepares and runs assays such as immunohistochemistry and in situ hybridization, western blots, ELISA. Microscopic analysis using fluorescence and non-fluorescence probes. Performs biochemical, molecular biological, microscopic, serological, bacteriological, examinations and tests of biological samples
- Assumes other duties and responsibilities that are appropriate to the position and area and as directed by the Histopathology and Tissue Shared Resource Co-Directors. Assist with clerical tasks and general support related to reports and documentation of results as directed by supervisor. The above responsibilities are a general description of the level and nature of the work assigned to this classification and are not considered as all-inclusive. Performs other duties as instructed.
- Bachelor's degree (Master's degree preferred) in related field
- 1 to 3 years of related experience (research/medical/clinical)
- Excellent organizational and communication skills
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively with investigators
Current Georgetown Employees:
If you currently work at Georgetown University, please exit this website and login to GMS (gms.georgetown.edu) using your Net ID and password. Then select the Career worklet on your GMS Home dashboard to view Jobs at Georgetown.
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any position at Georgetown University you must submit a cover letter and resume for each position of interest for which you believe you are qualified. These documents are not kept on file for future positions.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please click here for more information, or contact the Office of Institutional Diversity, Equity, and Affirmative Action (IDEAA) at 202-687-4798 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Need some assistance with the application process? Please call 202-687-2500. For more information about the suite of benefits, professional development and community involvement opportunities that make up Georgetown's commitment to its employees, please visit the Georgetown Works website.
Georgetown University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer fully dedicated to achieving a diverse faculty and staff. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, and sexual orientation), disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.