Creative Director, Digital Experience
Creative Director, Learning Design and Solutions
Exempt, Regular, 100% Full Time, Pay Grade 3.4
University of Maryland University College (UMUC) seeks a Creative Director, Digital Experience. Reporting to the Associate Vice Provost, the LD&S Creative Director will work closely with colleagues across LD&S and the Graduate and Undergraduate schools to produce best-in-class design solutions that enhance learner experience in digital environments. Leading a highly creative team of graphic artists, UX designers, programmers, video producers and digital storytellers, The Creative Director establishes and drives the overall strategy for design and execution of compelling visual narratives and elegant digital products for UMUC learning content and is responsible for all visual design aspects of the product lifecycle, including product ideation, interaction design, visual and UI design, user research and testing in support of the strategic goals of the Learning Design and Experience division.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
● Work with LD&S/LDE teams to access and prioritize digital experience needs, including
defining project goals, technical and business needs, scope of work.
● Lead the creation of rich digital concepts, layouts, design systems, interaction models,
visual prototypes, user interface elements, storyboards, typography, wireframes, and user
● Work closely with storytelling team to identify compelling stories and turn them into
effective digital content
● Define, adhere to, and improve existing design standards and perform appropriate
research to incorporate the latest trends across design practices, usability principles, UI/UX
development and video production.
● Foster a culture of collaboration, innovation, excellence, and accountability.
● Manage, mentor, and build team to strengthen productivity and increase professional
● Stay tuned to emerging trends and best practices for digital and creative content.
● Collaborate with LD&S teams to implement design/visual consistency across courses and
● Work closely with the Multimedia manager to fulfill video production needs, design efficient
work flow management, assure the security of video assets, and maintain a video library.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
● Master's degree in Interaction Design, Graphic or Media Design, HCI,
or related field from an accredited institution of higher learning.
● At least 10 years of professional experience working in digital media
with a focus on graphics and video, including at least 5 years
managing design teams.
● Proven ability to determine a strategic creative vision and lead
● Solid experience with all aspects of user experience design including
interaction design, and visual design, and especially user research.
● Extensive knowledge and experience applying universal design
processes while working collaboratively with customers, along with
cross-functional teams including learning designer, writers, digital
asset managers and ADA compliance professionals.
● Experience implementing SCRUM/Agile methodologies in teams.
● Proficient in a variety of methods to convey ideas and concepts (e.g.
storytelling, storyboards, mood boards, prototypes, etc.)
● Ability to clearly explain and defend aesthetics choices with key
partners all while internalizing feedback and perspective in order to
make the work stronger
● Strong creative portfolio of design work that demonstrates a strategic,
conceptual and creative approach
● Experience with video production principles, techniques and
HTML 5, scripting and CSS.
● High proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, After
Effects) and working knowledge of Sketch, Azure, Figma, Adobe XD,
PREFERRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
●Knowledge of video editing, motion graphics and animation
● Up to date knowledge of new and emerging technologies
in video production, immersive experience and visual
● Experience creating branded content for learning
● Experience managing the video production process, from
development through delivery.
● Experience working in higher education
POSITION AVAILABLE IMMEDIATELY & WILL REMAIN OPEN UNTIL FILLED
SALARY COMMENSURATE WITH EXPERIENCE
All submissions should include a cover letter and résumé. UMUC offers competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits for qualifying positions, such as tuition remission, generous leave and healthcare. For detailed benefits information, please visit: https://careers.umuc.edu/benefits.html.The University of Maryland University College (UMUC) is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination. UMUC is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, ancestry, political affiliation or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.If you are an external candidate, you will have the option to create an account after you submit your application. Passwords for external accounts must contain 8 characters including 1 uppercase letter, 1 number, and 1 special character. Please remember this password, as it will be required to apply to additional jobs.