Senior Identity Management Engineer
Senior Identity Management Engineer - University Information Services
In general, this position is responsible for the design, operation and management of complex Identity and Access Management systems. The Senior Identity Management Engineer has expert-level knowledge of scripting/programming and high-level knowledge of UNIX systems and computer security. S/he works in a small team of similarly skilled technical staff to support these responsibilities. Specifically, this position will be a key contributor in the integration and maintenance of various enterprise services. This position is also responsible for contributing to all phases of project development life-cycle and providing enterprise quality services to the entire university community. This position will be responsible for the selection, tracking, building, testing, customization, and maintenance of Open Source packages for use in our enterprise environment. This position will also be involved in the daily operations of our existing suite of enterprise services and be required to participate in a rotating on-call schedule. Duties include but are not limited to:
- Responsible for directing the management, planning, and operations of the servers managed by University Information Services.
- Requires advanced planning skills and technical knowledge to perform complex, intricate tasks. In a broadly defined environment, position has accountability to resolve issues and problems. This requires analytical, interpretive or constructive thinking.
- Receives periodic direction from higher management and is free to develop project objectives, organizational changes and budget justifications based on those directions. This position is expected to help develop the policies and procedures which determine the use and operation of these systems.
- Performs the development and maintenance of various identity management solutions, participates in design and code reviews, maintains technical documentation as requested, follows standard change control procedures in rolling out new services to Georgetown University customers and provides production support as per the team's norms
- Assists in the setup, maintenance, and administration of servers. Helps to ensure that servers meet Service Level Agreement (SLA) performance and uptime standards. Supports a variety of applications and processes that depend on the servers
- Has primary 24x7 responsibilities for the setup, maintenance, and administration of servers. Ensures that servers meet Service Level Agreement (SLA) performance and uptime standards
- Supports a variety of applications and processes that depend on the servers, including but not limited to backup, off-site tape rotation, disaster recovery preparedness, directory and time synchronization, network printing, remote server management, remote user access, and system security
- Plans for future growth and development of server systems, advising on the need to replace, upgrade, or expand servers at least one year prior to the server's meeting a performance bottleneck
- Provides 24x7 server support by participating in the ESS group after-hours on-call schedule and performing scheduled maintenance and upgrades during weekend and evening hours
Tests New Products and Configurations
- Keeps in touch with cutting-edge server solutions and attending professional training and conferences, as appropriate
- Assists with testing new products, technology, and configurations in the testing lab and provides assistance with integrating them into the server infrastructure to provide better performance, greater up-time, and new features to the user community, both internal and external to UIS
- Responsible for thoroughly testing new products, technology, and configurations in the testing lab and integrates them into the server infrastructure to provide better performance, greater up-time, and new features to the user community, both internal and external to UIS
Performs Cyclical Projects
- Assists with regular maintenance and audits to server systems, including security audits, capacity management, and software patch level surveys
- Participates in periodic disaster recovery testing, which may be either announced or unannounced and may require travel to a remote disaster recovery site
- Performs regular maintenance and audits to server systems, including security audits, capacity management, and software patch level surveys
- Performs periodic disaster recovery testing, which may be either announced or unannounced and may require travel to a remote disaster recovery site
Coordinates and Communicates with Other Groups
- Works on a regular basis with members of several other groups within UIS, including the Help Desk, Operations Center, and Enterprise Systems Integration teams
- Informs other groups of the current status of server systems and plans for future changes and installations
- Trains other groups on how to best interact with servers
- Works with other groups to optimize the performance of applications running on servers (Oracle, for example)
- Coordinates system changes with application owners to ensure minimal negative user impact
- Develops technical guides that explain system use and access for distribution to technicians in other groups and the user community as a whole
- Helps to develop and refine policies and procedures relating to security, data integrity, change control, and documentation of server systems, and works in accordance with these procedures
- BS in Computer Science or related computing intensive field, plus 5 years of relevant work experience in the design, development and maintenance of relevant enterprise systems, preferably in a higher education environment, or Master's degree in Computer Science/MIS or related computing intensive field, plus 2 years of relevant work experience in the design, development and maintenance of relevant enterprise systems, preferably in a higher education environment
- Demonstrated experience successfully engineering, deploying, and maintaining complex enterprise information systems in large (>5000 clients) production environments
- Demonstrated experience successfully implementing source control systems (e.g. CVS) and engineering process models (e.g. CMM) in both development and production environments
- Must have strong interpersonal and problem solving skills, and be highly self-motivated and organized
- Extensive programming experience with at least one of the following: Python, Java/J2EE, PERL
- Database experience with at least one of the following: Oracle (preferred), Microsoft SQL Server, Microsoft Access
- Source Control Systems experience with one of the following: Concurrent Versions System (CVS), Subversion (SVN), Source Code Control System (SCCS)
- Authentication, Authorization and Access experience with at least one of the following: LDAP (preferred), Active Directory, Kerberos, Shibboleth or similar SAML Single Sign-On solution
- Shell scripting experience (e.g. sh, csh)
- Programming experience with at least one of the following Model-View-Controller (MVC) frameworks: Django (preferred), JSF, Struts
- Certification with at least one of the following: Certified Associate or Professional in Python Programming (PCAP or PCPP), Oracle Certified Associate or Professional, Oracle Database SQL Certified Associate (or similar)
- Experience with the following: Apache, Firewalls, Cloud integrations, Enterprise application servers, AJAX, RESTful Web Service, MuleSoft or similar integration platform as a service (iPaaS)
Current Georgetown Employees:
If you currently work at Georgetown University, please exit this website and login to GMS (gms.georgetown.edu) using your Net ID and password. Then select the Career worklet on your GMS Home dashboard to view Jobs at Georgetown.
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any position at Georgetown University you must submit a cover letter and resume for each position of interest for which you believe you are qualified. These documents are not kept on file for future positions.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please click here for more information, or contact the Office of Institutional Diversity, Equity, and Affirmative Action (IDEAA) at 202-687-4798 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Need some assistance with the application process? Please call 202-687-2500. For more information about the suite of benefits, professional development and community involvement opportunities that make up Georgetown's commitment to its employees, please visit the Georgetown Works website.
Georgetown University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer fully dedicated to achieving a diverse faculty and staff. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, and sexual orientation), disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.