Heavy Equipment Operator
3 days left
- Full Time
Operates a variety of loaders, backhoes, motor graders, excavators and paving equipment to complete projects that include but are not limited to; rough and fine grading, removal of stream blockages and debris, large and small paving projects, trenching operations and a variety of projects requiring the use of heavy construction equipment. Operates low-boy tractor trailer and tandem dump trucks with trailers to transport equipment and material. Maintains vehicles in a clean and safe manner, performs daily maintenance checks, monitors equipment and vehicle maintenance and repairs that may be required. In absence of the Heavy Equipment Supervisor, acts as crew leader to a staff of 3 to 6 personnel and completes daily work reports.Illustrative Duties
- Operates equipment engaged in complex and routine maintenance and construction projects;
- Interprets construction plans;
- Performs routine operations, to include excavating, gouge cutting, leveling, demolition, stump clearing, sloping, spreading, stripping, and pushing trees and rocks from land preparatory to renovating roads, landscaping and site development;
- Drives semi-tractor trailers hauling sludge, trash or petroleum;
- Transports heavy construction equipment to designated locations;
- Prepares travel records;
- Performs equipment maintenance, such as changing oil, checking fluids, diagnosing tread wear, replacing batteries and troubleshooting problems;
- May serve as a lead worker over a crew of laborers;
- Monitors construction projects to a successful and timely completion;
- Supervises safety practice and regulation during construction projects;
- Engages in safe working practices and complies with safety programs and guidelines;
- Reports and monitors unsafe working conditions;
- Complies with safety competencies.
- Thorough knowledge of state traffic laws and regulations;
- Working knowledge of heavy equipment maintenance;
- Working knowledge of computers;
- Skill in the operation of a variety of heavy construction equipment;
- Ability to read and comprehend maps;
- Ability to work independently;
- Ability to perform routine equipment maintenance and make minor repairs;
- Ability to safely operate equipment;
- Ability to lead others;
- Ability to work outside with regular exposure to severe weather, noxious fumes, high levels of dust, etc;
- Ability to comprehend and abide to safety practices;
- Ability to maintain effective relationships with citizens, employees and supervisors;
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions;
- Ability to perform tasks requiring manual dexterity.
Any combination of education, experience, and training equivalent to completion of the tenth grade, and three years of experience operating motorized construction equipment and/or semi-tractor trailers, as appropriate.
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES REQUIRED:
- Valid driver's license
- Class A CDL
- Must possess or obtain a valid CDL (Department of Transportation) medical card. The selected applicant must demonstrate a negative drug test; undergo character and background checks as specified by the federal DOT regulations; show compliance with DOT drug/alcohol testing requirements as demonstrated by reports from prior employers; and participate in random and other required alcohol and controlled substances testing.
- Applicant will be required to provide copies of CDL License at point of interview for verification of driving status.
The appointee to this position will be required to complete a criminal background check, a check of the Child Protective Services Registry, a driving record check, and a pre-employment physical examination to the satisfaction of the employer.
- Previous experience operating heavy construction-type equipment.
- Exceptional safety and driving record, with at least five years incident-free.
- Excellent work ethics and standards of conduct; demonstrated experience in team building, problem solving, and customer service; and good communication skills.
- Proven leadership qualities.
- Prior experience in the construction, site work(or a similar operating industry).
- Working knowledge and experience with computer software applications such as Excel and Word.
Ability to lift 50 pounds frequently. All duties performed with or without reasonable accommodations.
It is the policy of Fairfax County Government to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 703-222-7314. EEO/AA/TTY.