Vice President, Policy and Emerging Issues
The National Network to End Domestic Violence (NNEDV) is a national organization dedicated to making domestic violence a national priority, and creating a social, political and economic environment in which domestic violence, dating violence, sexual assault, and stalking no longer exists.
POSITION DESCRIPTION: NNEDV is seeking a Vice President, Policy and Emerging Issues to join our strong leadership team. This is a full-time, hands-on, Washington D.C. based, exempt position reporting to NNEDV’s President and CEO and serving as an integral member of the senior management team. The Vice President will be responsible for the organization's overall policy initiatives, as well as one or more of NNEDV’s signature projects, including developing bold and innovative strategies for success.
The Vice President will be an ambassador for the organization and will have and build relationships within the Congress and the administration, as well as in the political and public policy community, to advance the organization’s mission with relevant constituents as well as drive broader awareness and support.
The successful candidate will work closely with all departments and teams, and contribute to the stewardship of the organization, both internally and externally, promoting a culture of high performance, cross-team collaboration, continuous improvement and a commitment to quality.
THE SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE:
NNEDV is seeking an experienced subject matter expert to lead our national policy agenda, collaborate with our network of state and territory domestic violence coalitions, support our broad-based work to enhance safety and economic empowerment for victims and survivors; and enhance our collaboration with governmental, non-profit and corporate stakeholders. Desired qualifications and skills include:
• Fifteen or more years of senior-level leadership and management experience.
• Deep subject matter expertise in domestic violence policy or a closely related area
• Significant experience in policy leadership, including legislative drafting and analysis, and the development and evaluation of strategies and tactics for reaching policy objectives.
• Significant experience in one or more of the areas addressed by NNEDV’s signature projects, which can be found at https://nnedv.org/about-us/what-we-do/
• Strong relationships with women's and social justice organizations, particularly organizations that focus on domestic violence.
• Relationships with policymakers across government, including the administration, federal agencies, and the Congress.
• A high degree of personal initiative and proven interpersonal and team skills.
• Outstanding communication skills, verbal and written, with the ability to communicate effectively with a variety of audiences.
• Demonstrated success in developing and maintaining relationships with members, partners, donors, decision makers, staff, nonprofit and government agencies;
• An ardent respect for domestic violence survivors.
• Commitment to the organization's mission and to a diverse, egalitarian workplace.
• Flexibility, a sense of humor, and the ability to work quickly and nimbly under pressure.
• Ability to serve as an NNEDV spokesperson, and willingness to travel as needed.
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
This position offers a flexible and collegial working environment at our offices on Thomas Circle, and a competitive salary based on qualifications and experience. Benefits includes medical, dental, life and disability insurance, generous vacation and paid holidays, paid sick leave, and a 401(k) retirement plan. Vision insurance is available at nominal cost. NNEDV is an equal opportunity employer.
Send a cover letter, resume, salary expectations, and a 2-3 page writing sample, combined into a single PDF to Kim Gandy, President and CEO, at email@example.com. Please include your cover letter in the body of your email. Applications that do not contain all of the required items will not be considered. Applications received before February 19 will be given priority; however, the position will remain open until filled.