Director of Employee Relations
Job Category : Admin or Professional Faculty
Working hours :
Salary : Commensurate with education and experience.
Web Announcement :
Director of Employee Relations
The George Mason University, Human Resources and Payroll Department, is looking for an enthusiastic and energetic person for a Director of Employee Relations. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Masons academic and culturally inclusive environment.
The Director of Employee Relations manages the employee relations function at George Mason University. This position will partner with the Organizational Development, Learning, and Coaching team to implement overall strategy of the employee relation team, handle more complex executive and faculty level employee relation matters, partner with the Office of Compliance, Diversity, and Ethics to ensure successful resolution of employee relation matters. This incumbent will be part of the leadership team in Human Resources & Payroll driving change, improving processes and collaborating with multiple stakeholders across the university.
- Provide confidential assistance to university employees and leadership to help identify and resolve work-related problems or proactively avoid potential problems. Provide individual coaching, group consultations, dispute resolution assistance including mediation and facilitate conversations. Advise supervisors on disciplinary procedures, manage grievances, advise on performance management in general, make Employee Assistance Program referrals, and oversee environmental assessments;
- Advise Provost, Deans, department chairs, faculty and leaders of administrative areas regarding personnel issues;
- Supervise employee relations staff and oversee the management of employee relations cases;
- Participates as a trainer in areas of expertise partnering with ODLC;
- Serves on Campus Assessment and intervention Team (CAIT) and on the Sexual Assault and Interpersonal Violence Team (SAIV), in addition to the Emergency Operations Group (EOG), Insider Threat Advisory Group, and other university committees as needed; and
- Interpret federal, state, and university laws and policies as it relates to employment law and procedures.
- Masters degree in a related field or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience;
- Comprehensive knowledge of HR/Payroll functions, such as compensation, training, employment, benefits, employee relations, employee development, payroll, policy development, employee communications, work/life balance and HR information systems;
- Knowledge of mediation and other dispute resolution techniques;
- Knowledge of applicable laws, policies, procedures and regulations (Title IX, ADA, FLSA, EEOC, etc.);
- Progressively responsible HR experience that included supervision of others, program development and evaluation, and significant work with teams or other cooperative groups;
- Demonstrated strong written and oral communication skills; and
- Ability to work effectively with diverse populations.
- Knowledge of typical HR data management and analysis techniques;
- Experience in higher education preferred and experience with faculty matters, state classified staff grievance processes, and alternative dispute resolution; and
- SPHR and/or SHRM-SCP certification.
Special Instructions : For full consideration, applicants must apply at https://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
MasonAd : Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report Up and Coming spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Masons diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
Equity Statement : George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or veteran status, or any characteristic protected by law.
Job Close Date :