The City of Alexandria is located in northern Virginia and is bordered by the District of Columbia (Potomac River), Arlington and Fairfax counties. With a population of approximately 150,000 and a land area of 15.75 square miles, Alexandria is the seventh largest city in the Commonwealth of Virginia. Alexandria has a charming waterfront and is a unique and historic place to live and work. About one-quarter square miles in the city have been designated as a national or local historic district. We proudly embrace our rich history and seize the endless opportunities that lie ahead. If you are interested in working for the vibrant City of Alexandria, we invite qualified candidates to apply for our Marketing Specialist.
Overview The Marketing Specialist position, of the Public Information Specialist job class, performs responsible public relations/public information/communications work for a City department. Work in this class involves writing, editing and planning layout of brochures and flyers, writing articles, press releases, and/or planning and implementing publicity and promotional campaigns. Work requires the exercise of creativity and independent judgment and is performed under general supervision.
What You Should Bring
Each member of our team is accountable for the outstanding delivery of services to the community. You will work to meet the need of our community. You will ensure service is Responsive, Professional, Courteous and Accountable. You will have the support of and work under the direction of the Marketing Manager. You will provide a work product that meets the high standards of excellence.
- Assists with communicating important information about department and City programs, projects, events, initiatives, services and issues to the residents, employees of Alexandria and the media;
- Collaborates creative concepts to develop and create graphic designs from conception to implementation for multiple projects under tight deadlines;
- Coordinates and monitors the work of contractors involved in the production of information; i.e., materials, including graphic designers, printers, mail houses/brokers, and photographers;
- Creates original concepts, design, images, artwork for print, the Internet and other media;
- Develops filing systems, maintains and archives files, records and logs of various matters, and maintains accountability of file materials, assembles and summarizes information from files, and insures that all documents are signed;
- Monitors inventory, places orders as stock levels indicate, and assures new inventory is properly received and tagged;
- Performs data entry, tracking, processing reports, filing, and record keeping;
- Plans, organizes and coordinates the production of forms, publications, press releases, e-news, web content, blogs, social media content, community outreach efforts, and event planning for the Department;
- Prints flyers, posters, and newsletters as needed, maintains material inventory and maintenance, and troubleshooting;
- Provides publicity and coordination assistance with department and City-wide special events;
- Researches, writes, edits and proofs a variety of print publications including staff- and public-facing electronic newsletters, brochures and other publications as needed;
- Writes, distributes and posts news releases and digital images, to promote upcoming events, programs and services;
- Performs related work as required.
About the Department of Recreation, Parks & Cultural Activities
The mission of Recreation, Parks & Cultural Activities is to enrich the City of Alexandria by creating meaningful experiences through public spaces, cultural activities, and programming. The Department's vision is to improve the well-being of every person in our community by connecting them to each other and their environment. The Department of Recreation, Parks and Cultural Activities received national accreditation from the Commission for Accreditation of Park and Recreation Agencies (CAPRA). National accreditation requires park and recreation agencies to meet 155 standards representing elements of effective and efficient park and recreation operations.