PSYCHIATRIC NURSE PRACTITIONER
The Arlington County Department of Human Services is currently recruiting for a Nurse Practitioner position within its Psychiatric Services Bureau in the Behavioral Healthcare Division. The organization is a recovery-oriented, trauma-informed, dynamic behavioral healthcare agency, providing critical services to Arlington County residents.
To learn more about Arlington County's Psychiatric Services, please click here.
The individual selected for this position will support the Psychiatric Services outpatient services team, and participate on an inter-disciplinary team including psychiatrists, public health nurses, pharmacy, staff, and administrative staff to provide services, collaborate with external providers, and incorporate health and wellness needs into the overall plan of care of client's served.
Specific duties include:
- Conducting psychiatric assessments of clients;
- Ongoing psychiatric management, including psychopharmacological treatment, psychotherapeutic support, and crisis intervention in collaboration with the treatment team and clinical supervisors;
- Assuring comprehensive healthcare needs are identified and treated;
- Educating clients about their illness and providing health management information and techniques;
- Documenting clinical care and services provided; and
- Providing backup psychiatric provider coverage as needed, mainly consisting of after-hours telephone call responsibilities and back-up to crisis stabilization program.
- A Bachelor's Degree in Nursing from a college or university program accredited by the American Nurses' Association AND
- A Master's Degree in Psychiatric Nursing, which required a clinical mental health practicum prior to graduation involving diagnostic and treatment services.
Substitution: A directly related higher level clinical degree (Doctorate) may substitute for the Master's Degree education requirement.
Desirable: Preference may be given to applicants with experience in one or more of the following:
- Outpatient crisis services or crisis unit such as a hospital emergency department;
- Working in an acute inpatient psychiatric unit; and/or
- Current healthcare provider CPR certification from the American Heart Association.
Must be certified or eligible for certification as an Advanced Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner by the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC). The Board of Nursing and the Board of Medicine may issue certification by endorsement to an applicant who has been certified as a Nurse Practitioner by another state, the District of Columbia, or a United States possession or territory.
Must be licensed or eligible for license by endorsement to practice professional nursing as a Registered Nurse in Virginia. The Board of Nursing may issue a license by endorsement to an applicant who has been licensed as a professional nurse by another state, the District of Columbia, or a United States possession or territory.
Applicant must possess, or obtain by the time of appointment, a valid motor vehicle operator's license from the applicant's place of residence or the applicant must have the ability and willingness to use alternative methods of transportation to perform assigned duties and responsibilities at locations other than the primary worksite. If the applicant possesses or acquires a license, the applicant must provide or authorize Arlington County to obtain a copy of the applicant's official state/district driving record. Any offer of employment may be contingent on a favorable review of the applicant's driving record.
Must have DEA prescriptive authority.
Must complete pre-hire federal background check and State of Virginia Central Registry check.
Work hours: A flexible work schedule is available including normal work hours between the hours of 8:00 am - 5:00 pm, with at least one evening required per week.
Your responses to the supplemental questionnaire are considered part of the selection process. Please do not enter "see resume" as a response to the questions. Each section of the application must be completed. A resume may be attached, however, it will not substitute for the completed application. Incomplete applications will not be considered.