Operations Research Analyst
25% or less - Occasional travel may be required for this position.
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
- Subject to Random Drug Testing.
- Must pass a pre-employment drug test.
- Favorable suitability determination required.
- Financial Disclosure is required.
- Must be able to obtain/maintain a Q level Security Clearance.
- You must be a United States Citizen.
- This employer participates in the e-Verify program.
- Males must abide by Selective Service registration requirements.
- Relocation expenses will not be paid
- Compliance with Homeland Security Presidential Directive (HSPD-12) governing personal identity which will require that you provide two forms of identification.
- A one-year probationary period may be required.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
A qualified candidate's online application and resume must demonstrate at least one year of specialized experience equivalent to the next lower grade level at the NQ-02 or GS-12 in the Federal service. Specialized experience for this position is defined as experience providing complex program management and/or oversight of major acquisition programs in value of at least one hundred million to multi-billion dollars; experience conducting cost estimates of major acquisition programs or utilized scientific inquiry and analysis to assess program cost schedule, and scope performance; and experience providing authoritative and accepted recommendations and/or options on resource allocation of major acquisition programs to inform multi-year budgets
- Direct, conduct, and/or lead the development of Independent Cost Estimates for major acquisition programs; or
- Provide independent review, analysis and render an opinion of cost estimates performed by other sources; or
- Provide expert cost analysis during all phases of the execution of capital projects to inform and/or update project baselines; or
- Direct, conduct, and/or lead independent data-driven program analyses and evaluations to inform multi-year budget decisions and resource allocations.
Your application and resume should demonstrate that you possess the following knowledge, skills, and abilities (KSAs). Do not provide a separate narrative written statement. Rather, you must describe in your application how your past work experience demonstrates that you possess the KSAs identified below. Cite specific examples of employment or experience contained in your resume and describe how this experience has prepared you to successfully perform the duties of this position. DO NOT write "see resume" in your application!
- Knowledge and skill in application of advanced analytical, mathematical, and statistical theories, principles, concepts, methods, and techniques related to statistical analysis; parametric and non-parametric analysis; computer modeling; decision theory; mathematical programming; regression analysis; and economic analysis.
- Ability to create and implement policy guidance and direction for cost estimation, program evaluation, and data collection.
- Knowledge of PPBE principles, concepts, and methodologies as applied to Federal Government programs
- Knowledge of government programs and organizational structure in order to perform effectively as an expert and advisor on cost estimation and program evaluation
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
"Experience" refers to paid and unpaid experience. Examples of qualifying unpaid experience may include: volunteer work done through National Service programs (such as Peace Corps and AmeriCorps); as well as work for other community-based philanthropic and social organizations. Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills; and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
CTAP/ICTAP candidates: To be considered "well qualified" you must meet all of the requirements as described in this section.
You must meet all qualifications and eligibility requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
Position requires positive education: Degree in operations research; or at least 24 semester hours in a combination of operations research, mathematics, probability, statistics, mathematical logic, science, or subject-matter courses requiring substantial competence in college-level mathematics or statistics. At least 3 of the 24 semester hours must have been in calculus. Please note: You MUST provide college transcripts supporting any education claims in your application before the closing date.
Education must be obtained from an accredited institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Foreign education must be reviewed by an organization recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. For special instructions pertaining to foreign education and a list of organizations that can evaluate foreign education, see the Department of Education website.
FOREIGN EDUCATION: Applicants who have completed part or all of their education outside of the U.S. must have their foreign education evaluated by an accredited organization to ensure that the foreign education is comparable to education received in accredited educational institutions in the U.S. A written evaluation of any foreign education must be provided with your application in response to this vacancy announcement or be received by the closing date of this announcement. For a listing of services that can perform this evaluation, see the National Association of Credential Evaluation services (NACES) website at http://www.naces.org/members.htm. Failure to provide this evaluation will result in you being found unqualified for the position. PLEASE NOTE: If your foreign education has already been accepted by an accredited U.S. educational institution as part of a degree program with that institution, you do not need to provide an evaluation of foreign education but must submit a copy of the transcripts listing the degree from the U.S. accredited institution that accepted your foreign education.
For Professional, Scientific and Engineering Positions: If qualifying on the basis of an alternate method, i.e., professional license, you must submit official documentation to support your claim with your application package.
- The U.S. Department of Energy fosters a diverse and inclusive workplace and is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Veterans and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, please visit the links at the bottom of this page or visit the FedsHireVets website.
- More than one selection may be made from this vacancy announcement.
- Some positions may require completion of a probationary period of up to 1 (one) year.
- Many positions require successful completion of a background investigation.
- All males born after December 31st 1959 must abide by laws regarding Selective Service registration. To learn more about this law, visit the Selective Service web page, Who Must Register. If you are not registered and don't have an approved exemption, you will not be eligible for employment with the Federal government.
EEO Policy: Click HERE.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy: Click HERE.
Veterans Information: Click HERE.
Telework: Click HERE.
Selective Service Registration: Click HERE.
Information about the NNSA Demonstration project can be found by clicking HERE.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application will be rated by our application system using the Category Rating procedure. A quality review will then be conducted by the HR Office and/or Subject Matter Expert (SME). Your application is rated based on the extent and quality of your experience, education (if applicable to the job), and training described in your online resume/questionnaire as related to the duties of this position. The quality categories are usually defined as “Best Qualified”, “Well Qualified” and “Qualified”. Veterans Preference eligible candidates will be listed at the top of whichever category your score places you in. CP/CPS veterans are placed at the top of the highest category for all positions except professional and scientific positions at GS-9 and higher.
Your performance appraisals and incentive awards will be given due consideration in the selection process based on their relation to the duties of the position and the consistency with which they may be considered in evaluating you against other applicants.
If you are eligible for career transition assistance plans such as ICTAP or CTAP, you must meet the definition of "well qualified" which is defined as having a score of 85 or better.
If your resume is incomplete or does not support the responses you provided in your online questionnaire, or if you fail to submit all required documentation before the vacancy closes, you will be rated 'ineligible', 'not qualified', or your score may be adjusted accordingly.
To preview questions please click here. Read more Security clearance Q Access Authorization Drug test required Yes