.Instructional Technologist- C1
The Graduate School
Non-Exempt, Contingent 1, Part-Time, Pay Grade Stateside Contingent 1
Location: Largo, MD
University of Maryland University College (UMUC) seeks an Instructional Technologist (part-time) in The Graduate School (TGS).
Who We Are and Who We Serve
UMUC—one of 12 degree-granting institutions in the University System of Maryland (USM)—is a mission-driven institution with seven core values that guide us in all we do. At the top of the list is "Students First” and we strive to do just that for our 90,000 students at home and abroad. From its start in 1947, UMUC has demonstrated its commitment to adult learners. We recognize that adult students need flexibility and options. UMUC is proud to be a global, 24-hour, institution of higher learning.
The typical UMUC student is an adult learner juggling a career, family, and other priorities. Roughly 80% work full time, half are parents, and half are minority students. They are continuing their education to better themselves, their families, and their professional opportunities. UMUC is also a leading higher education provider to the U.S. military, enrolling 55,000 active-duty service members, reservists, National Guard members, veterans, and family members annually. We are proud of our military heritage and are committed to this service.
Reporting to the Senior Director, Academic Projects, the Instructional Technologist supports the Dean's Office in activities related to academic offerings and projects.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
Collaborating actively with Program Chairs, Faculty, Subject Matter Experts (SMEs), and others, the Instructional Technologist assists with, and supports, the design and implementation of academic programs for UMUC's Graduate School (TGS).
- Apply tested instructional design theories, practices, and methods in the design and development of online courses for adult learners
- Assist Program Chairs with writing effective learning objectives, developing assessment instruments and rubrics, and crafting effective learning activities that align with objectives
- Assist Program Chairs with creating engaging, ADA- and copyright-compliant course materials, including graphics, audio, and videos, to support the curriculum
- Train faculty and staff to use video equipment and audio/video editing software to create high quality multimedia instructional content
- Create training materials and support documentation for equipment and software
- Collaborate and coordinate with team to ensure deadlines and quality standards are met
- Adhere to existing policies and procedures to ensure compliance with all relevant regulations affecting university operations
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution of higher learning
- Three (3) to five (5) years of experience (or a combination of education and experience) designing instruction and applying principles of adult learning theories and methodologies to assessment, development, delivery, and evaluation
- Demonstrated experience using appropriate technologies and software to design online courses and multimedia instructional content
- Strong project management skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Strong technical skills
- Excellent writing skills
- Comfortable working in a team environment
- Knowledge of competency-based and project-based learning models, open educational resources, copyright principles, and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
PREFERRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master's degree in Instructional Design, Educational Technology, Instructional Technology, or a related field.
- Demonstrated experience working in higher education
- Demonstrated experience designing online courses with elements of competency- and/or project-based learning
- Demonstrated experience dealing with intellectual property rights and ADA compliance issues in online education environments, as well as using open educational resources.
- Demonstrated experience using iMovie, Camtasia, Audacity, Adobe Creative Cloud, Adobe Captivate, and/or Camtasia Studio.
in The Graduate School (TGS).
POSITION AVAILABLE IMMEDIATELY
All submissions should include a cover letter and résumé. UMUC offers competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits for qualifying positions, such as tuition remission, generous leave and healthcare. For detailed benefits information, please visit: https://careers.umuc.edu/benefits.html.The University of Maryland University College (UMUC) is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination. UMUC is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, ancestry, political affiliation or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.If you are an external candidate, you will have the option to create an account after you submit your application. Passwords for external accounts must contain 8 characters including 1 uppercase letter, 1 number, and 1 special character. Please remember this password, as it will be required to apply to additional jobs.