Director of Scholarships and State Grants
- Full Time
Director of Scholarships and State Grants
Office of Financial Aid
Exempt, Regular, Full-Time, Pay Grade 3.3
The Director of Scholarships and State Grants reports to the Associate Vice President of Financial Aid and is responsible for all aspects of the scholarship unit on a day-to-day basis. The position provides strategic oversight to all aspects of scholarship creation, funding, awarding, selection and disbursement. Awards total approximately 13M annually. This position ensures that all scholarships are awarded according to the policies and procedures, whether internal awards or external. The Director of Scholarships and State Grants is responsible for working with Institutional Advancement, Finance, the USM Foundation, and the Maryland Higher Education Commission on all scholarships and state grants awarded to UMUC students. This position ensures superior quality customer service and accurate and timely delivery of scholarships to students, including full compliance with state and institutional regulations, and is responsible for scholarship fund reconciliation for internal departments and external agencies. The Director of Scholarships and State Grants manages a staffing unit of five individuals.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Provide oversight, both strategic and day-to-day, for all institutional scholarship programs and state grants. Troubleshoot and resolve all problems, change and update policies and procedures as needed. Work with the Systems team to develop, test and implement automated solutions to manual process to the greatest extent possible.
- Oversee timely and regular reconciliation of all scholarship programs, meeting all deadlines in accordance with state and agency requirements. Strategically execute reports required by internal and external office as required for various scholarship programs.
- Ensure the highest level of timely, accurate and professional customer service to UMUC students at all times.
- Work closely with other campus offices and outside constituencies to create, publicize and award new scholarships.
- Serve as a member of the Senior Leadership Team in the Financial Aid Office, working closely with other senior leaders in the planning, administration and implication of new or revised scholarship in relation to the mission of the institution and directives to assist students with scholarship funding. Maintain a culture of compliance within financial aid.
- Keep fully abreast of all changes in institutional scholarship and state grant requirements; have a solid working knowledge of Title IV regulations, particular as relation to coordination of funds, overawards and positional scholarship issues that could impact Title IV compliance.
- Performs other job related duties as assigned.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution of higher learning and a minimum of three (3) to five (5) years in state grant or institutional scholarship administration, preferably in higher education.
- At least three (3) years of supervisory experience.
- Financial Aid experience preferred.
- Exceptional interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to document work clearly, make independent decisions and schedule work to meet deadlines.
- Work accurately and quickly with attention to detail; strong commitment to customer service.
PREFERRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master's degree.
POSITION AVAILABLE IMMEDIATELY & WILL REMAIN OPEN UNTIL FILLED
SALARY COMMENSURATE WITH EXPERIENCE
All submissions should include a cover letter and résumé. UMUC offers competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits for qualifying positions, such as tuition remission, generous leave and healthcare. For detailed benefits information, please visit: https://careers.umuc.edu/benefits.html.The University of Maryland University College (UMUC) is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination. UMUC is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, ancestry, political affiliation or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.If you are an external candidate, you will have the option to create an account after you submit your application. Passwords for external accounts must contain 8 characters including 1 uppercase letter, 1 number, and 1 special character. Please remember this password, as it will be required to apply to additional jobs.