Education Support Specialist II
6 days left
- Full Time
Job Category : Classified Staff
Working hours :
Salary : $40,000-$45,000, commensurate with education and experience
Web Announcement :
INTO Mason Immigration Specialist
The George Mason University Office of Admissions is seeking a self-motivated, results-oriented individual to fill the position of INTO Mason Immigration Specialist. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Masonâ€™s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
Responsibilities: This position will work with newly admitted INTO Mason Academic English and Pathway students to ensure that their documents are processed efficiently; and acts as a resource on matters related to their admission, enrollment and adjustment. The INTO Mason Immigration Specialist processes immigration documents for students and for the university; consults with faculty and administrative staff in other departments; coordinates preparation of written information for prospective and new students including dissemination in hard copy and online; and conducts and supports INTO Mason and Office of Admissions programming efforts. This position requires strong interpersonal communication skills, focused attention to detail, and the ability to research and analyze information to solve problems. Additional responsibilities include:
- Work collaboratively with INTO Application Processing Center (APC), INTO Mason Global Center, the Office of Admissions, and the Office of International Programs and Services to ensure efficient document flow for newly admitted non-immigrant students;
- Serve as a Designated School Official under federal F-1 regulation; review financial data, and issue I-20s for newly admitted students including transfer students and graduate students;
- Respond to student, INTO APC, and INTO Mason Global Center questions by providing information on topics such as: financial and other documents required for I-20 issuance; pre-arrival information needed to plan travel and initial arrival; campus and community resources; and processing of school transfer through the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS);
- Prepare written materials for prospective and new students (to be disseminated both in hard copy and online);
- Participate in training programs for staff in academic admissions units on regulatory requirements for non-immigrant student document issuance;
- Assist INTO Mason staff with efforts to plan and execute orientation and offer programming for international students and scholars;
- Assist in training of volunteers, student assistants, and others as requested by the supervisor;
- Under the direction of the supervisor, provide consultation services to faculty and administrative staff;
- Produce office statistics as requested; and
- Oversee or carry out special projects or other functions as assigned.
- Bachelorâ€™s degree, or an equivalent combination of education and experience, and demonstrated commitment to international educational exchange;
- U.S. citizenship or lawful permanent residency;
- Ability to research and analyze information, including government documents and regulations, to solve problems;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills including strong writing ability, presentation skills, and the ability to communicate effectively to non-native speakers of English;
- Ability to relate well to individuals from diverse cultural, social and educational backgrounds; and
- Ability to balance competing priorities and meet deadlines in a high-pressure environment.
- Demonstrated professional experience preferably in a related field or in an agency dealing with international educational exchange;
- Previous experience as a Designated School Official and/or Responsible Officer;
- Familiarity with cross-cultural communication and adjustment; and
- Experience living, studying or traveling abroad.
Special Instructions : For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number 02640z at http://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
MasonAd : Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report Up and Coming spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Masons diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
Equity Statement : George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or veteran status, or any characteristic protected by law.
Job Close Date :