Education Support Specialist II
7 days left
- Full Time
Job Category : Classified Staff
Working hours :
Salary : $40,000-$44,000; commensurate with education and experience
Web Announcement :
INTO Mason International Transcript Evaluator
The George Mason University Office of Admissions is seeking a self-motivated, results-oriented individual to fill the position of INTO Mason International Transcript Evaluator. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Masonâ€™s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
Responsibilities: This position will evaluate international student transcripts and foreign credentials to determine whether students are admissible to an INTO Mason Pathway program. The individual will initially process international applications and later work closely with the INTO Mason application processors to generate application decisions within a designated timeframe. This position serves as a liaison between the INTO Mason Center, Masonâ€™s Office of Admissions, and the INTO Application Processing Center. Reporting to the Assistant Director of Transcript Evaluation for INTO Mason Programs, and at the direction of the Director of Admissions Operations, the incumbent will provide decision-making authority on behalf of the Office of Admissions.
Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Evaluate foreign credentials for admission to INTO Mason Pathways programs;
- Make admissions decisions by exercising discretion and independent judgment;
- Stay up-to-date on evaluation standards, educational practices, and the latest information on academic policy regarding international admissions standards at the undergraduate and graduate levels;
- Convert foreign grading scales to a 4.0 grade point average (GPA) scale;
- Liaise with Mason Office of Admissions and the INTO Application Processing Center on application decisions, processes and procedures;
- Work within the INTO Mason Center and across the university as an effective team player;
- Maintain a positive and flexible attitude and provide constructive feedback within the team;
- Assist with other center-wide programs and activities as assigned; and
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelorâ€™s degree, or an equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Comfortable working with culturally and ethnically diverse populations, and possess exceptional cross-cultural communication skills;
- Demonstrated experience evaluating foreign academic credentials at a postsecondary institution;
- Knowledge of various country educational systems and international credentials evaluation procedures, ability to research grade point average equivalents using reference materials, and ability to oversee initial transcript evaluation work done by INTO Mason admission personnel;
- Experience with student information data systems;
- Knowledge of trends and best practices in international education;
- Must be process- and detail-oriented;
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize, meet deadlines, and work under pressure while maintaining attention to detail;
- Strong oral/written communication and interpersonal skills;
- Demonstrated ability to conduct independent research;
- Experience in processing complex calculations; and
- Strong work ethic; and a positive, friendly, and customer service-oriented attitude; and
- Ability to work with systems.
- Masterâ€™s degree;
- Demonstrated knowledge of and experience with international admissions, file review, and transcript evaluation of international and domestic secondary and postsecondary education credentials at an accredited U.S. institution of higher education;
- Experience with student information data systems;
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office applications and knowledge of the Ellucian Banner student information system;
- Professional work experience in a university admissions office;
- Ability to take initiative and work both independently and as a team;
- An interest in other nationalities and cultures;
- Multilingual experience and cross-cultural communication skills; and
- Experience and the ability to work with a wide variety of internal and external constituents.
Special Instructions : For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number 02715z at http://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
MasonAd : Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report Up and Coming spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Masons diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
Equity Statement : George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or veteran status, or any characteristic protected by law.
Job Close Date :