Smart Mobility Program Manager
SMART MOBILITY PROGRAM MANAGER
The Smart Mobility Program Manager performs highly responsible administrative and professional work in directing the day-to-day activities and implementation of the Smart Mobility Program. This position is responsible for coordinating a number of smart mobility programs across the City, including Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) projects, Adaptive Traffic Signals and Transit Signal & Emergency Vehicle Priority systems. This employee will work closely with the Department of Information Technology to integrate data from Smart Mobility with other City functions. The Program Manager is responsible for collaborating with departments across the city, as well as, regional and private partners to implement and ensure success of this program. Work is performed under the administrative direction of the Division Chief of Traffic Engineering within the Department of Transportation and Environmental Services and is performed with considerable latitude for independent judgment.
- Demonstrates behavior consistent with the vision, mission, and values of the City of Alexandria, and provides excellent customer service;
- Contributes to the continuous improvement of self, division, department and City through participation in professional and personal growth and development opportunities, and identifies opportunities for staff;
- Encourages innovation and creativity among staff and looks beyond the City for best practices ;
- Manages the Smart Mobility program, including development, implementation and tracking of various initiatives, include large scale ITS and other grant funded projects;
- Attends a variety of meetings and conferences and stays abreast of developments and technology in the Smart Mobility field;
- Supervises the Traffic Operations Center and project management staff;
- Coordinates closely with other divisions and departments to seek different perspectives and collaboratively develop the best results;
- Directs the work of an interdepartmental team to implement Smart Mobility projects and helps to align and track progress through multiple strategic planning efforts;
- Effectively communicates information to the public, senior management, staff and colleagues via email, social media, new releases and oral presentations to City Council and the community;
- Works closely with VDOT and other external agencies to secure and execute grant agreements and works in close coordination with the City Fiscal Team to manage the program budget;
- Manages large scale ITS projects in coordination with the Department of Project Implementation;
- Implements numerous data collection and sharing initiatives across the City and with regional and private partners to better utilize information to make informed decisions related to traffic management.
For additional information on this position, click here
The Ideal Candidate
To qualify for this position, all candidates must possess a Bachelor's degree in Civil/Transportation Engineering, Urban Planning, Public Administration or related program; and five years of progressively responsible experience in transportation planning and/or engineering, or operations analysis; or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
To be considered an ideal candidate, one should also possess more than five years of progressive planning experience, AICP certification or Registered as a Professional Engineer in the commonwealth of Virginia; demonstration of progressive project management experience. Five years of experience in project management, including effective management of project budgets. Two years of supervisory experience; five (5) years of experience presenting technical information effectively, both orally and in writing, to large groups and senior management.
About the Department
T&ES is a community partner in shaping a livable, green, and prospering Alexandria. We plan, build, operate, and maintain transportation systems and infrastructure that improve mobility and provide people and businesses with core public services. The work we do keeps Alexandrians moving, growing sustainability, and thriving. If you are curious for a broader view of our City government click here, or for a broader view of the City of Alexandria click here.