Admin Office Specialist 3
Job Category : Classified Staff
Working hours :
Salary : Anticipated starting salary is in the mid-$40s.
Web Announcement :
Human Resources and Administrative Specialist
The George Mason University, National Center for Biodefense and Infectious Diseases (NCBID) in the College of Science is seeking candidates for the position of Human Resources and Administrative Specialist. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Masonâ€™s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
Responsibilities The primary duties of this position are focused around initiating and processing the full range of human resources activities of the center, including, but not limited to, recruitment, appointment and reappointment, on-boarding, engagement activities, off-boarding, and other HR administrative processes. Other duties include providing administrative support to the center, building access administration, assisting personnel with travel, and maintaining program records. The incumbent is the first point of contact for the center and assists the director with special activities. The incumbent is also responsible for facilitating the smooth operations of the center and assists other administrative staff when necessary.
- A working knowledge of basic human resources principles;
- Comprehensive computer skills including Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, internet research, and strong typing skills;
- Detail-oriented, conscientious, and motivated;
- Strong interpersonal, customer relations, oral and written communication skills;
- Ability to interact well with faculty, administrative team members, and students, and a strong desire to assist them;
- Ability to meet deadlines and handle multiple tasks simultaneously; and
- Ability to complete work with a minimum amount of supervision. Preferred Qualifications
- Completion of a bachelorâ€™s degree;
- Experience performing human resources duties;
- Experience working in a higher education environment;
- Experience processing employment contracts;
- Experience processing travel arrangements;
- Knowledge of FERPA and experience handling sensitive data related to students, faculty, and staff; and
- Knowledge of Mason university organization and administrative procedures including Ellucian Banner and eWork
Because of the nature of the research conducted, employees working in this center have special conditions to remain employed. These include, but are not limited to: successfully complete background investigations; attend required training; and continuous adherence to all policies and procedures.
About Us NCBID faculty are leaders in the areas of biotechnology, biodefense, and the life sciences. They focus on developing broad spectrum drugs against bio-terrorism and newly emerging or re-emerging infectious diseases. The work is supported by students and scientific staff in laboratories house on the Science and Technology Campus in Manassas, Virginia. For more information about the center, visit us online at https://cos.gmu.edu/ncbid. For more information about the College of Science, visit https://cos.gmu.edu/.
Special Instructions : For full consideration, applicants must apply at https://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
MasonAd : Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report Up and Coming spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Masons diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
Equity Statement : George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or veteran status, or any characteristic protected by law.
Job Close Date :