Back End Engineer - Java Focused
Please list all professional experience and explain any gaps in employment history.
The Washington Post is building a platform that empowers publishers of all shapes and sizes to build the future of digital storytelling. We're combining our killer engineering team with 138 years of creating world class journalism to build a user centric platform for every user: readers, reporters, viewers, developers, editors, contributors… you get the picture. As a back end engineer, you'll play an integral role in shaping the vision of that platform.
MINIMUM RESPONSIBILITIES & REQUIREMENTS
• Participating in agile software development, prototyping and code reviews
• Working closely with product managers, editorial and business partners to understand software requirements
• Leading and participating in architectural decisions
• Performance testing software under load to ensure scalability
• Troubleshooting and solving complex problems
• At least 2 years focusing on enterprise scale backend architectures
• B.S. \\ M.S. in Computer Science, related fields, or equivalent experience
• Experience with Java / J2EE, Web MVC Frameworks (Spring), ORM (Hibernate, JPA), Relational Databases (Oracle, MySQL, PostgreSQL), Java Application Servers (glassfish, apache tomcat)
• Experience using RESTful and/or Soap-based Web Services with Service-Oriented Architecture.
• Excellent judgment, both in technical and organizational problem solving
• Experience with AWS (specifically: EC2, RDS, and S3)
• Experience designing and diagramming system architecture
• Superior written and verbal communication skills with both technical peers and non-technical partners
• Experience working in an Agile \\ Rapid Prototyping environment
• Solid understanding of version control principles, preferably using Git
• Demonstrated ability to mentor other software developers