School Nutrition Worker
Providing high level customer service in a school nutrition service setting that involves the following: food
preparation, serving, clean up, and related work in a school kitchen. An employee in this class performs
varied food service duties in preparing and serving meals to students, staff, and visitors. The work requires
close attention to proper food safety and sanitation procedures. Workers follow specific instructions and
procedures and refer new or unusual situations or problems to others. Persons hired into this position will
have successfully passed through a School Nutrition training program.
* Cleans, dices, chops and portions vegetables and fruits using specified utensils; prepares meats, entrees
and soups using various knives; mixes ingredients using specific utensils; prepares sandwiches, hot and
cold beverages, and other menu items
* Sets up cold and hot food counter for serving; stocks counter and carts with food, plates, utensils, napkins,
and condiments; serves food to students and faculty;
* Operates dishwasher, mixer, convection and combi ovens, tilt skillets and other kitchen equipment
* May act as cashier, recognizing a federal complete meal, makes change, adds money to accounts, interacts
with students, staff and community members with a high level of customer service
* Washes dishes, pots, pans, and other utensils, and cleans kitchen equipment and work area to include
sweeping and mopping of kitchen floors
* Unpacks and stores supplies in designated storage area
* May rotate cooking with other workers
* Performs related work as required
Graduation from high school and food service preferred; or any equivalent combination of education and
experience that would provide the following knowledge, abilities, and skills. Knowledge of food service
methods and practices; of proper food safety and sanitation procedures. Ability to read and interpret
standardized recipes and other technical documents. Work requires excellent customer relations skills. Ability
to perform varied food service work including food preparation, serving, clean up, and cashiering. Ability to
communicate effectively with co-workers and customers and work cooperatively with others.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to
successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable
individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; use hands to finger,
handle or feel objects or tools; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is regularly required to see,
talk and hear. The employee is regularly required to sit; walk; stoop, kneel, crouch or bend and may be
required to lift up to approximately 40 pounds. May be exposed to extreme temperatures.