Assistant for Income Security, Child Care and Early Learning Support
The National Women’s Law Center seeks an Assistant to provide administrative and occasional program support to the Income Security, Child Care, and Early Learning Program. The program conducts multi-faceted advocacy to ensure women and families have the supports they need to meet basic needs and thrive as well as to expand access to quality, affordable child care and early learning opportunities.
National Women's Law Center: Expanding possibilities. Eliminating barriers. We are passionate champions of national and state policies and laws that help women and girls achieve their potential throughout their lives- at school, at work, at home, in their families, and in their communities. We are committed advocates who take on the toughest challenges, especially for women who face multiple and intersecting forms of discrimination and women who are low-income – and we make change happen. We are proud to have been on the front lines of virtually every major advance for women since 1972, benefiting women, their families, their communities, and the nation.
The Assistant is an integral member of the Income Security, Child Care, and Early Learning team, providing critical administrative and systems support to this team. This position supports the team’s programmatic work, which addresses a wide range of issues including child care and early learning policy, tax credits for working families, federal budget and appropriations, nutrition assistance and other income supports, Social Security and retirement, and more. Infused throughout all our work is a commitment to gender and racial equity, disability justice, and LGBTQI equality.
- Helping the Vice President and other staff with scheduling.
- Assisting with conference, event, and meeting organization, preparation, and execution.
- Creating/editing correspondence and other documents and preparing documents for distribution, including formatting fact sheets and flyers in InDesign.
- Arranging travel, preparing expense reports, and facilitating contracts.
- Maintaining files and databases.
- Posting and formatting content on the NWLC website using WordPress.
- Managing systems for state legislative tracking on income security, childcare, and early learning issues.
- Conducting web-based, legislative, and other research on income security, child care, and early learning issues and drafting accompanying materials, such as blog posts for NWLC’s website.
- Providing support for legislative communications and outreach including managing list-serves.
- As needed: providing other administrative, program, and organization-wide support (e.g. limited back-up receptionist).
Experience and Qualifications
Candidate should have:
- A college degree or at least two years’ college and two years related work experience.
- Strong computer skills and advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office applications, including experience scheduling meetings in Outlook and managing spreadsheets in Excel.
- Strong office skills including attention to detail, proofreading, and excellent written and oral communications skills.
- A demonstrated ability to prioritize, organize and complete work independently.
- Flexibility, good judgment and the ability to handle multiple, concurrent tasks in an effective manner.
- Demonstrated ability to work well in a team setting and to manage projects in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
- A commitment to and interest in the work of the Center, including income support, child care, and early learning policy and advocacy.
- A commitment to gender justice and racial equity.
- Demonstrated commitment to work with and/or for low-income communities, communities of color, and/or LGBTQI communities.
- Experience with InDesign and WordPress.
First year salary $44,000.
If you are interested in joining the NWLC team, submit a cover letter describing your qualifications, resume, and three supervisory references. Electronic submissions are preferred. Please send materials to ISCCAssistant@nwlc.organd include position title “Assistant IS&CC” in the subject line. Hard copies may be addressed to: Human Resources Department, National Women's Law Center, 11 Dupont Circle, Suite 800, Washington, DC 20036, FAX: 202-588-5185. Applications accepted until position is filled. No calls please.
The National Women’s Law Center is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and values a diverse workforce. We strongly encourage and seek applications from people with disabilities, people of color, including bilingual and bicultural individuals, veterans, and LGBTQI individuals.
As noted above, NWLC welcomes applications from individuals with disabilities. If you require reasonable accommodations during any part of the hiring process, please email us at email@example.com or you may send the request by mail to:
National Women’s Law Center
ATTN: Human Resources Director
11 Dupont Circle NW, Suite 800
Washington, DC 20036