Government Grant Writer
The Government Grants Writer plays a key role in identifying, capturing and maintaining Agency grant opportunities. The ideal candidate will have prior experience leading the capture experience covering federal, state and local grant opportunities for a non-profit organization. Working under the direction of the Director of Contracts Administration, the Government Grant Writer is primarily responsible for identifying and proposing; writing and managing grant proposals that communicate NVFS’ mission and programs. All NVFS employees are expected to demonstrate the organizational values and sensitivity to the diversity of the organization’s client base.
Essential Job Duties:
Identifying and Proposing:
- Developing a strong understanding of client issues, program services and organizational priorities so as to help align potential funding opportunities.
- Identify alignment opportunities between prospective funders and internal funding needs by service/program area.
- Responsible for identifying, shaping and capturing federal/state/local grant opportunities.
- Lead business development and capture process to include: customer contact, opportunity identification and analysis, gap analysis, and being directly involved in teaming strategy, teaming agreements and supporting proposal responses.
- Author and manage content preparation of proposals and ensure submission of high-quality grant applications.
- Work collaboratively with Development and Program teams to develop, write, compile, and submit grant proposals for government grant funding opportunities in a timely and efficient manner.
- Responsible for any of the following application components: letters of intent, full proposal narratives, budget narratives, and other requirements as specified by the funder.
- Manage tracking and reporting process of prospects and funders through the development and maintenance of grant application and reporting calendars.
- Manage the maintenance of grant files in accordance with program requirements and NVFS guidelines to ensure appropriate access to grant files.
- Utilize database/tracking tools in accordance with NVFS Contract Administration guidelines, to thoroughly track grant applications and funder relationship details.
- Coordinate with Grants Accountants to ensure timely and accurate accounting of revenues and expenses per Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and NVFS Financial Policies and Procedures
- Educate Program teams with prospecting and/or complying with their grant requirements or maintaining/updating the grant files.
Qualification and Additional Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Management, Contract Management or related field and/or relevant certifications (i.e. CFCM, CCCM, CPCM).
- At least three (3) years of government grant writing and administration experience.
- Excellent writing, editing, organization, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work collaboratively across multiple Agency divisions with diverse staff at all levels to successfully garner information
- Proven ability to research, analyze and systematically compile information from a variety of sources in an organized, cohesive manner with particular attention to detail
- Proficiency in various government database search tools
- Demonstrated ability to set and meet multiple deadlines and display strong organizational capability
- Ability to interpret federal, state, and local government laws and regulations in relation to grant requirements
- Knowledge and/or experience in the non-profit field
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
- Successful completion of Criminal History background check
- May be called upon to work beyond normal working hours
- Writing sample or grant submission upon request
This description is intended to describe the essential job functions and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and requirements of a person so classified.
Northern Virginia Family Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer and E-Verify participant.