Survey Statistician, GG-1530-13, Census-DOC-TW
Occasional travel - Travel may be required.
Relocation expenses reimbursed No
Applicants must meet all qualification requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
This vacancy is advertised under 2 different announcements. Read the 'Who May Apply' section carefully to determine your eligibility. If you are not eligible under this announcement, please see ADDC-2019-0006, Survey Statistician, GG-1530-13, Census-DE-TW.
Current Career/Career Conditional U.S. Census Bureau Employee: This is a competitive temporary promotion opportunity not to exceed 1 year or 09/26/2020, whichever comes first with the possibility for extension at management's discretion.
Non-Current Career/Career Conditional U.S. Census Bureau Employee: This position will be filled as a Temporary Appointment not to exceed 1 year or 09/26/2020, whichever comes first with the possibility for extension at management's discretion.
A trial period may be required.
This position is ELIGIBLE for telework; additional criteria will be required (e.g., supervisory approval).
This is a NON-BARGAINING unit position.
Relocation expenses may not be paid.
This is an open continuous announcement. The initial cutoff date for referral is December 6, 2018. After this date additional referral lists will be created as vacancies are available. This announcement covers multiple positions with the various Directorates of the U.S. Census Bureau through February 28, 2019.
- A. Degree: that included 15 semester hours in statistics (or in mathematics and statistics, provided at least 6 semester hours were in statistics), and 9 additional semester hours in one or more of the following: physical or biological sciences, medicine, education, or engineering; or in the social sciences including demography, history, economics, social welfare, geography, international relations, social or cultural anthropology, health sociology, political science, public administration, psychology, etc. Credit toward meeting statistical course requirements should be given for courses in which 50 percent of the course content appears to be statistical methods, e.g., courses that included studies in research methods in psychology or economics such as tests and measurements or business cycles, or courses in methods of processing mass statistical data such as tabulating methods or electronic data processing.
NOTE: As indicated in A above credit toward meeting statistical course requirements will be granted for courses in which 50 percent of the course content appears to be statistical methods, e.g., courses that included studies in research methods in psychology or economics such as tests and measurements or business cycles, or courses in methods of processing mass statistical data such as tabulating methods or electronic data processing. Additionally, to receive credit for coursework that is not catalogued on the transcript as Statistics or contain 'statistics' in the course title, applicants must attach an official course description for the course that clarifies that the course has statistical content, or written documentation (documentation must be on official school letterhead) from a professor or a school official verifying that the content of a course has either met the 50% statistics course requirements or was a statistical course if the course name in your transcript is not entitled as statistics.
- B. Combination of education and experience -- courses as shown in A above, plus appropriate experience or additional education. The experience should have included a full range of professional statistical work such as (a) sampling, (b) collecting, computing, and analyzing statistical data, and (c) applying statistical techniques such as measurement of central tendency, dispersion, skewness, sampling error, simple and multiple correlation, analysis of variance, and tests of significance.
If you do not submit sufficient academic documentation necessary to demonstrate that you meet the eligibility and minimum qualification requirements described in this announcement, your application will be deemed incomplete and you will be ineligible for further consideration for this vacancy.
Grade Level Requirements:
In addition to meeting the Basic Entry Requirements above, applicants must have the experience listed below:
Specialized Experience: For the GG-13, you must have one year of experience at a level of difficulty and responsibility equivalent to the GS-12 grade level in the Federal services. Specialized experience for this position includes work that applies statistical theory, communication, coordination, coalition building, and analytical and evaluative techniques to plan, manage, and coordinate surveys/programs. Draw rational inferences based on statistical data, and prepare comprehensive reports.
Education cannot be substituted for experience at this grade level.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional, philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
The following links provide information on various hiring authorities that may enable you to apply through merit assignment procedures, or be eligible for a non-competitive appointment.
The Department of Commerce provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please notify the Human Resources Office. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation will be on a case-by-case basis. TTY users can contact the Human Resources Office via the Federal Relay Service, 1-800-877-8339.Read more
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your resume, optional cover letter and supporting documentation will be reviewed to determine if you meet the minimum qualifications for the position. If you meet the minimum qualifications stated in the job opportunity announcement, we will compare your resume, optional cover letter and supporting documentation to your responses on the scored occupational questionnaire (True/False, Yes/No, Multiple Choice questions). Your resume and/or optional cover letter must support your responses to the scored occupational questionnaire, or your score may be lowered. The best-qualified candidates will be identified for referral to the hiring manager and may be invited for an interview.
Due weight shall be given to performance appraisals and awards in accordance with 5 CFR § 335.103(b)(3), during the interview/selection process conducted by the hiring manager.
The scored occupational questionnaire will evaluate you on the following competencies; please do not provide a separate written response:
- Skill to apply project management techniques to lead projects.
- Knowledge of statistical theories and methodology to manage and coordinate statistical projects/studies and apply knowledge of a particular statistical specialty.
- Skill to supervise individuals and teams.
- Skill to conduct survey research and apply data collection methodologies.
- Skill to prepare comprehensive reports and recommendations.
- Skill to analyze factual information and evaluate significant factors and solve complex problems based on statistical data.
- Skill to identify customer needs and requirements and developing proposals/products to meet those needs.
- Skill to influence others to utilize particular technical methods and procedures or to persuade others to cooperate in meeting objectives when there are problems in securing cooperation.
- Skill to communicate complex information to a variety of audiences.
We recommend that you preview the online questions for this announcement before you start the application process.
To preview questions please click here. Read more Security clearance Not Required Drug test required No