Lumina Foundation is an independent, private foundation in Indianapolis that is committed to making opportunities for learning beyond high school available to all. We envision a system that is easy to navigate, delivers fair results, and meets the nation’s need for talent through a broad range of credentials. Our goal is to prepare people for informed citizenship and for success in a global economy.
The administrative assistant provides general and specialized administrative support to four staff members in Lumina’s D.C. office by prioritizing tasks, effectively planning time, anticipating needs, and operating with a sense of urgency. As a communication liaison, this position deals with a diverse group of important external callers and visitors as well as internal contacts at all levels of the organization. In addition to administrative support, the administrative assistant assists with facility-related matters and general services and provides logistical support for Lumina’s convenings in the D.C. area as needed.
Responsibilities General administrative and specialized support
- Anticipate and proactively manage calendars, time, and workflow.
- Anticipate and proactively manage the department’s guests and visitors by greeting them and ensuring the appropriate staff are notified.
- Schedule and organize complex activities such as internal and external meetings, travel arrangements, conferences, and other departmental activities.
- Assist with various department meetings, including preparation of materials and agendas, PowerPoint presentations, room setup, technology needs, catering, and cleanup.
- Support internal committees, teams, and workgroups.
- Support projects.
- Appropriately disseminate incoming communications and prioritize as critical or non-critical.
- Reconcile, prepare, and submit expense reports and invoices for payment.
- Compose general correspondence, emails, memos, meeting notes, etc. as needed.
- Proofread copy for spelling, grammar, and layout and make appropriate changes.
- Utilize Excel to track and maintain data as needed.
- Maintain and update contact lists.
- Design, implement, and maintain an effective paper management system including document storage, filing protocol, and standardized formats in accordance with the foundation’s document retention policy.
- Assist in preparing and tracking the departmental budget and verify invoices to be paid as requested.
- Represent the department in a professional and collegial manner.
- Manage Washington DC specific vendor contracts and relationships related to various facility services and agreements.
- Coordinate maintenance, repairs and refurbishing of facility and furnishings.
- Maintain facility services procedures manual.
- Work with Lumina’s Information Technology staff to handle IT related issues in the DC office.
- Process all incoming and outgoing mail including USPS and overnight express shipments and keeps mail supplies stocked.
- Serve as the safety captain for the DC office, including the maintenance of the emergency exit plan and staff education and safety related issues.
- Provide logistical support for smaller DC convenings as needed. This may include scheduling, material preparation, ordering catering, audio/video setup and note taking.
- Assist in the execution of new staff onboarding by managing the scheduling as well as the setup of office supplies, name plates, I.D. badges, business cards, garage passes, etc.
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge.
- Understand and comply with the foundation’s policies and processes.
- Responsible and accountable to the success and effectiveness of assigned projects and teams.
Education and experience
- Associate degree or demonstrated competency in business, education, or other related area.
- At least three (3) years of experience working in an administrative support role.
- Strong Microsoft Office skills, especially Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Excel.
- Strong knowledge of online tools used to schedule travel, process expense reports, and host web-based meetings.
- Strong interpersonal and customer relations skills with a high degree of diplomacy, tact, and professionalism, including excellent phone etiquette.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills including grammar, spelling, and writing capabilities.
- Strong organizational skills including attention to detail.
- Strong ability to multi-task, set priorities, triage work and meet deadlines.
- Ability to flex and adapt to meet the needs of others and work demands.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and handle sensitive information.
- Ability to apply sound situational decision making.
Work environment and physical demands
- Work is performed in an office environment, mostly sedentary.
- Visual and auditory acuity for extensive use of various forms of technology.
- Sitting and standing for long periods of time.
- Lifting up to 20 pounds.
This position description is only a summary of the typical job functions, not an exhaustive list of all possible responsibilities, and may be subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons.
Applicants should send the following to the e-mail address below:
- A letter of interest that includes desired compensation.
- Resume outlining experience relevant to the position.
Equal Opportunity Employer